• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pulled over in arizona with marijuana in the trunk. from CA with medical card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luky_mi

i was visiting a friend in new mexico . when driving through arizona i got pulled over for speeding.l the officer search my drunk and i had less than an ounce of weed . He gave me a ticket. Tomorrow i have to go to court. Do i plead guilty or not guilty?? help.

i have a medical card from california, and the weed was in my trunk. and i was on the fwy just driving by arizona.

help please

Isis1

i was visiting a friend in new mexico . when driving through arizona i got pulled over for speeding.l the officer search my drunk and i had less than an ounce of weed . He gave me a ticket. Tomorrow i have to go to court. Do i plead guilty or not guilty?? help.

i have a medical card from california, and the weed was in my trunk. and i was on the fwy just driving by arizona.

help please
a medical card from california for usage IN CA does not magically turn into an AZ medical usage card once you cross state lines.

xylene

Your med card has no bearing on the case other than possible sympathy - like if you have a severe disease...

Get a lawyer.

You should have known better, in all fairness.

justalayman

=Luky_mi;2817086]i was visiting a friend in new mexico . when driving through arizona i got pulled over for speeding
why is it so difficult for people to understand; if you have a warrant for your arrest anywhere, if you are in the act of committing a crime, just simply; if you do not want to cause an interaction with the police; do not knowingly and intentionally break the law. It's just dumb.

.l the officer search my drunk and i had less than an ounce of weed . He gave me a ticket. Tomorrow i have to go to court. Do i plead guilty or not guilty?? help.
not guilty and hire a lawyer.

well, you do realize there is a difference between Arizona and California, right? The laws of one state do not apply to the other.

cos919

You may want to check into a defense based on the full faith and credit clause of the constitution.

"Such Acts, records and judicial proceedings or copies thereof, so authenticated, shall have the same full faith and credit in every court within the United States and its Territories and Possessions as they have by law or usage in the courts of such State, Territory or Possession from which they are taken."

I don't know if it has even been successfully used in a case like yours, but it's worth a look.

YGood luck, and I hope you win. Drug prohibition is complete BS!

Last edited by a moderator:

cyjeff

You may want to check into a defense based on the full faith and credit clause of the constitution.

"Such Acts, records and judicial proceedings or copies thereof, so authenticated, shall have the same full faith and credit in every court within the United States and its Territories and Possessions as they have by law or usage in the courts of such State, Territory or Possession from which they are taken."

I don't know if it has even been successfully used in a case like yours, but it's worth a look.

Good luck, and I hope you win. Drug prohibition is complete BS!
Why is it that every druggie that finally sits down and reads the Constitution thinks that he or she has found the magic silver bullet that lets them smoke pot?

Why would you think that this defense has never ... not once... been tried before since pot was criminalized, what, 50 years ago? You know, by people that actual go to SCHOOL where there are whole classes in the Constitution?

We call them lawyers.

I really believe that one of the more annoying side effects of long term pot use is the user's belief that every one of their ideas is unique, brilliant and amazing.

It isn't. You are wrong. States and the government have the absolute right to regulate drugs and the interstate transportation of such.

The Occultist

Why is it that every druggie that finally sits down and reads the Constitution thinks that he or she has found the magic silver bullet that lets them smoke pot?

Why would you think that this defense has never ... not once... been tried before since pot was criminalized, what, 50 years ago? You know, by people that actual go to SCHOOL where there are whole classes in the Constitution?

We call them lawyers.

I really believe that one of the more annoying side effects of long term pot use is the user's belief that every one of their ideas is unique, brilliant and amazing.

It isn't. You are wrong. States and the government have the absolute right to regulate drugs and the interstate transportation of such.
Cyjeff, does the fact that AZ decriminalized medicinal marijuana have no bearing in this?

justalayman

Cyjeff, does the fact that AZ decriminalized medicinal marijuana have no bearing in this?

QP40: If I am visiting Arizona from another state from which I have obtained a medical marijuana card, can I legally possess marijuana? May I buy marijuana from a dispensary?
State law allows a visiting qualifying patient with a registry identification card or its equivalent, issued by the qualifying patient's home state, to possess or use marijuana. However, a visiting patient is not authorized to obtain marijuana from a dispensary because the dispensary is required in statute to access a verification system before dispensing marijuana.
http://www.azdhs.gov/medicalmarijuana/faqs/patients.htm#Q35

justalayman

So, given the above, why didn't the OP show the nice officer his MJ card?

don't know. Honestly, I had no idea Arizona accepted cards from other states. It was news to me. I suspect due to it being a very new system, how anything is dealt with is new to everybody.

Maybe when he goes to court if he shows is California MMJ card the charges will be dropped. Maybe the courts have to verify his card. I really don't know any more than anybody else on this.

Billy V

a medical card from california for usage IN CA does not magically turn into an AZ medical usage card once you cross state lines.
But dude, I have this medical card man ...

What was that?

fraudwatch

...i have a medical card from california, and the weed was in my trunk. and i was on the fwy just driving by arizona.

help please
The state of Arizona allows reciprocity, which means your out of state card is allowed in Arizona, for your home state medical MJ possession limits, but you cannot buy it in Arizona.
The cop was wrong. I hope this case was thrown out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">