• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold a Vehicle CL - Buyer wants to return after 2 weeks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sebacian

State: California

I sold a used vehicle 2 weeks back, now the buyer is saying this is not the vehicle he was looking for and wants to return it.

Am I legally obliged to take the vehicle back because he did not read my ad correctly or because he did not read my title or registration. He spent a good 30 mins reading the title and registration details on the vehicle and says he did not notice that the model was a different one.

Any help is appreciated.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

justalayman

is there a discrepancy with the title and registration compared to the actual vehicle?

You must realize that the title you give with the car be for that actual car, right?

justalayman

then explain this:

and says he did not notice that the model was a different one.
the model was a different one from what?

between that and:

because he did not read my ad correctly or because he did not read my title or registration
You have something hokey going on.

sebacian

Just for example purpose lets say I put my ad to sell my corolla.

I place an ad to sell the car, the buyer inspects the car and buys it. The same day he takes the delivery of the car along with the registration and pink slip.

Two weeks later he calls and says he was looking for a camry and not a corolla. now he wants to return the corolla.

"The model of car I place on the ad is different from the one he intended to purchase."

Hence my question if I am in anyways responsible for this?

Last edited:

justalayman

what is the situation that happened with you?

Did you represent your car as something it wasn't? Did you alter any markings on the vehicle to make it indeterminable?

sebacian

@Justalayman: If I had done anything like that (even by mistake) I will take full responsibility for it and repay the buyer.

From the conversation with the buyer, the only mistake I seem to have made is not possessing the ability to read his mind.

My point is I advertise for a sale, show the same vehicle, after the buyers inspection give him the maintenance record with the purchase receipt (original), the registration and pink slip. The buyer reviewed everything and took the vehicle. The Ad, the documents all point to the same vehicle that he took possession of.

No modifications on the vehicle. In the same condition as the factory model, except for any changes done during mechanical checkup.

If he had come back in a day I may have taken the vehicle back. But after two weeks, I will take it back only if I am legally obliged.

sebacian

Attorney calls - I reply or should I call an attorney

I received a call from the buyers attorney today. The buyer wants to rescind the contract, should I talk to the attorney or should I contact an attorney and have my attorney call the buyers attorney?

This will be the first time I have to deal with a case. I am again hoping for an expert's advise.

Thanks!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I received a call from the buyers attorney today. The buyer wants to rescind the contract, should I talk to the attorney or should I contact an attorney and have my attorney call the buyers attorney?

This will be the first time I have to deal with a case. I am again hoping for an expert's advise.

Thanks!!
What specific reason for rescinding the sale is being given?

Based only on what you've posted, I'd tell the guy AND his attorney to pound sand and then ignore them.

Thanks!!
All the experts here have told you the same thing.

Tell the buyer to enjoy his new car or pound sand.

Ignore the "so-called" attorney.

sebacian

I had a voicemail on my phone. The attorney did not give me a reason, he only said that he wanted to talk to me regarding a sale and the buyer wishes to rescind the contract.

Is it o.k. to talk to the attorney myself, or should I have an attorney represent me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">