• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retail Store Refund Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gmacd1177

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

This is my first post and I hope this is the right place for this question.

Back in February I purchased a sofa from a local Ashley Furniture store and was told it would take 7-10 business days for the order to be delivered. I received a call ~5 days after that saying that the item was back ordered and would actually take 4-5 weeks for delivery. I told the phone rep to cancel the order because I did not want to wait that long and would rather buy something else that I could have sooner. I was told the order would be cancelled and refund issued with no issues. The rep told me to expect 10-14 business days for the refund check to be processed.

About 2 weeks after that I received a call from the actual store (not phone rep at call center) and was told they received the refund request. It would take another 10-14 days for the refund check to be processed and mailed out. I asked for the mailed check because I work weekdays and was told refunds can be done in-store between 9AM-4PM on weekdays.

Three weeks went by so I gave the store a call asking where my refund was and was told me that it had been mailed out 2 weeks prior meaning that it never arrived to my home. I asked what could be done and the only answer I received was the either wait 45 days when they could reissue the check or go to my local post office and look for it there. I called the post office and was told that going down there would likely be useless and if it was lost it needed to be resent. At this point I was frustrated having waited so much time and not receiving the refund. The store told me they would not reissue the check until at least 45 days had elapsed.

At this point I went ahead and disputed it with my credit card and was given the charge back to my card. I assumed all was done until now.

The check finally did arrive in the mail (with the wrong zip code) just a few days ago so I ignored it thinking that the issue was resolved.

Today I received a call from Ashley furniture asking if I had received/why I hadn't cashed the check. I told them I got my money back a long time ago and was done with the issue. I even confirmed with my credit card company that the resolution was made in my favor since Ashley Furniture did not respond to the dispute inquiry. Now the store rep wants me to mail a copy of my credit card statement and the check back to them to show that I received the money and the issue is closed.

My question is what should I do since I feel the matter is closed on my end. I have my money and the check is over 60 days old which I believe makes it void. I do not want to deal with them further but want to know if I am liable/obligated to get the check or any information regarding the dispute back to them.

Thanks!

justalayman

why were they sending you a check? If you charged it on your credit card, they should have just credited your CC account.

You should void the check and return it to them. Refusing to cash the check should be adequate but honestly, it will be as much for your benefit as it is theirs.

and the check is over 60 days old which I believe makes it void.
not unless it states it right on the check. A check is considered stale after 6 months but even that doesn't make it a invalid check.

ElephantSntNose

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

This is my first post and I hope this is the right place for this question.

Back in February I purchased a sofa from a local Ashley Furniture store and was told it would take 7-10 business days for the order to be delivered. I received a call ~5 days after that saying that the item was back ordered and would actually take 4-5 weeks for delivery. I told the phone rep to cancel the order because I did not want to wait that long and would rather buy something else that I could have sooner. I was told the order would be cancelled and refund issued with no issues. The rep told me to expect 10-14 business days for the refund check to be processed.

About 2 weeks after that I received a call from the actual store (not phone rep at call center) and was told they received the refund request. It would take another 10-14 days for the refund check to be processed and mailed out. I asked for the mailed check because I work weekdays and was told refunds can be done in-store between 9AM-4PM on weekdays.

Three weeks went by so I gave the store a call asking where my refund was and was told me that it had been mailed out 2 weeks prior meaning that it never arrived to my home. I asked what could be done and the only answer I received was the either wait 45 days when they could reissue the check or go to my local post office and look for it there. I called the post office and was told that going down there would likely be useless and if it was lost it needed to be resent. At this point I was frustrated having waited so much time and not receiving the refund. The store told me they would not reissue the check until at least 45 days had elapsed.

At this point I went ahead and disputed it with my credit card and was given the charge back to my card. I assumed all was done until now.

The check finally did arrive in the mail (with the wrong zip code) just a few days ago so I ignored it thinking that the issue was resolved.

Today I received a call from Ashley furniture asking if I had received/why I hadn't cashed the check. I told them I got my money back a long time ago and was done with the issue. I even confirmed with my credit card company that the resolution was made in my favor since Ashley Furniture did not respond to the dispute inquiry. Now the store rep wants me to mail a copy of my credit card statement and the check back to them to show that I received the money and the issue is closed.

My question is what should I do since I feel the matter is closed on my end. I have my money and the check is over 60 days old which I believe makes it void. I do not want to deal with them further but want to know if I am liable/obligated to get the check or any information regarding the dispute back to them.

Thanks!
Send the check back to them with a note why. Do not include your credit card statement ~ just a note and the check with the word VOID written through it.

gmacd1177

Update to my little problem.

I called the next day (5/18) and the Ashley Furniture Store lady said that since I had received a credit from Amex that she could go ahead and cancel payment on the check and all would be settled.

Today I receive a letter from Amex stating that the dispute had been closed and the charge reapplied to my account. I check online and sure enough the charge from February is back on my current (May) statement.

The Amex customer service rep said last Thursday (5/26) someone called and said the dispute/inquiry had been settled so they reapplied the charge.

Now I have a check that is supposedly worthless and the original charge from Ashley Furniture standing on my statement.

Why can this happen? I have a letter dated 5/13 that Ashley Furniture NEVER responded to the dispute so I was credited with the original amount. NOW I have a letter dated 5/26 from Amex that the dispute was closed and the charge is being reapplied. The check I have is most likely no good since the last time I talked with Ashley Furniture they said that they would cancel payment.

What should I do now? I don't want to cash a check that I doubt is good but at same time feel like I will get jerked around again if I re-dispute the charge.

BL

I called the next day (5/18) and the Ashley Furniture Store lady said that since I had received a credit from Amex that she could go ahead and cancel payment on the check and all would be settled.

Today I receive a letter from Amex stating that the dispute had been closed and the charge reapplied to my account. I check online and sure enough the charge from February is back on my current (May) statement.

The Amex customer service rep said last Thursday (5/26) someone called and said the dispute/inquiry had been settled so they reapplied the charge.

Now I have a check that is supposedly worthless and the original charge from Ashley Furniture standing on my statement.

Why can this happen? I have a letter dated 5/13 that Ashley Furniture NEVER responded to the dispute so I was credited with the original amount. NOW I have a letter dated 5/26 from Amex that the dispute was closed and the charge is being reapplied. The check I have is most likely no good since the last time I talked with Ashley Furniture they said that they would cancel payment.

What should I do now? I don't want to cash a check that I doubt is good but at same time feel like I will get jerked around again if I re-dispute the charge.
Have you called your CC holder again ?

justalayman

the first thing I would do is call Ashley and let them know that your account was charged so you presume the check was not cancelled and you are heading down to the bank to cash it.

If they say fine, go ahead, then do so. If they say no, then they need to figure out a remedy very quickly. If they don't have a solution, contact AMEX and re-initiate the dispute.

So, if you cash the check, if the check is bad, contact the police and file a complaint concerning a bad check.

gmacd1177

AMEX told me I should try and cash the check/call the store. If not they could re-dispute the charge meaning another 6-8 week "investigation" as I wait.

I chose to go to the bank for the check (Chase) and they confirmed that the check had a stop payment. I feel like the police would be a waste of time since I did okay the cancel payment since I had the funds credited to my account.

The Ashley furniture rep is playing stupid like this is what I wanted when I told them canceling the check was fine.

I guess it's time to re-open the dispute which probably opens up another couple months of BS.

I don't know really what is going on with this whole thing. I feel like I am either being scammed or AMEX likes to reverse their decisions with a simple phone call from the merchant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">