• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Swindled on car deal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vonwiegand

Im asking this on behalf of my friend, because she is without internet.

My friend purchased a car from a used car company. Within a month, it was totaled in a traffic collision. Her car was covered by State Farm auto insurance, and had gap insurance. The used car company told her she had to buy another vehicle from them, or that they would sue her. They conned her into buy a 4 thousand dollar car, for 12 thousand. She is currently buying a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES, for 500 dollars a month.

So now she is stuck in a contract, buying a car for almost triple its worth because she was told she would be sued, and because she is only 20 and this is her first time buying a car and didnt know what she was doing. Is there anything she can do?

It seems rather illegal to threaten to sue her, considering Im confident that State Farm would have covered the remaining balance of the first vehicle.

Gary Wiegand, Battle Creek -MI

Im asking this on behalf of my friend, because she is without internet.

My friend purchased a car from a used car company. Within a month, it was totaled in a traffic collision. Her car was covered by State Farm auto insurance, and had gap insurance. The used car company told her she had to buy another vehicle from them, or that they would sue her. They conned her into buy a 4 thousand dollar car, for 12 thousand. She is currently buying a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES, for 500 dollars a month.

So now she is stuck in a contract, buying a car for almost triple its worth because she was told she would be sued, and because she is only 20 and this is her first time buying a car and didnt know what she was doing. Is there anything she can do?

It seems rather illegal to threaten to sue her, considering Im confident that State Farm would have covered the remaining balance of the first vehicle.

Gary Wiegand, Battle Creek -MI
Can she prove that she was threatened?

OHRoadwarrior

I guess I am missing something. Does this used car dealer follow all its purchasers around waiting for them to have car trouble? How could they "make" her buy a new car? Is she mentally competent to enter into a binding contract?

I_Got_Banned

I guess I am missing something. Does this used car dealer follow all its purchasers around waiting for them to have car trouble?
I'll take a wild guess that the dealer she bought from is a "Buy here, Pay here" so when the vehicle was totaled, they as the lien holder were notified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">