• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership service issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ebeh94

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
A week and a half ago my 03' Jeep GC with 103k miles just stopped running and I have to get it out of traffic with no pwr steering or brakes, not an uncommon problem for Jeeps I now understand...wait 5 minutes and it cranks and runs like new. After a couple of days it happened again so I took it to the Dealership where I purchased it. After diagnosing it they quoted me $1370 for the repair. I was a little skeptical because it didn't involve the part I thought was causing the problem, but they are the experts and the rep assured me that if the same thing happened again they would stand behind their work...ok. The next day it had to be towed (dealership payed to have it towed)...same issue. 1 day later I call and the Rep is in a quandary, as they aren't sure of the problem. He says to me...of course it will be no extra cost to you, except I just hate the inconvenience for you. Well, the next day they've decided it is the PCM, the thing I thought it was in the first place from my researching it on the internet, and the no cost to me is now going to be an additional $600. I ask to speak to the service director, who avoids me and still hasn't called. It's been over a week. I get them to order a new PCM, once again skeptical because they didn't know why the other one failed. Well, they put it in and it is fried. Now they think it may be the alternator. It just doesn't seem right that the recognized expert decides to use my wallet as part of their diagnostic routine, not to mention the inconvenience of being without a vehicle. I'm beyond frustrated. Does anyone believe I would have a case against the dealership? Thanks

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
A week ago my 03' Jeep GC with 103k miles just stopped running and I have to get it out of traffic with no pwr steering or brakes, not an uncommon problem for Jeeps I now understand...wait 5 minutes and it cranks and runs like new. After a couple of days it happened again so I took it to the Dealership where I purchased it. After diagnosing it they quoted me $1370 for the repair. I was a little skeptical because it didn't involve the part I thought was causing the problem, but they are the experts and the rep assured me that if the same thing happened again they would stand behind their work...ok. The next day it had to be towed (dealership payed to have it towed)...same issue. 1 day later I call and the Rep is in a quandary, as they aren't sure of the problem. He says to me...of course it will be no extra cost to you, except I just hate the inconvenience for you. Well, the next day they've decided it is the PCM, the thing I thought it was in the first place from my researching it on the internet, and the no cost to me is now going to be an additional $600. I ask to speak to the service director, who avoids me and still hasn't called. It's been over a week. I get them to order a new PCM, once again skeptical because they didn't know why the other one failed. Well, they put it in and it is fried. Now they think it may be the alternator. It just doesn't seem right that the recognized expert decides to use my wallet as part of their diagnostic routine. I'm beyond frustrated. Does anyone believe I would have a case? Thanks
If the item they fixed the first time around NEEDED to be fixed, but wasn't the sole cause of the problem, then yes, you need to pay for the additional work.

ebeh94

Yes...thanks.

If the item they fixed the first time around NEEDED to be fixed, but wasn't the sole cause of the problem, then yes, you need to pay for the additional work.
Of course that's the problem. They are going to say everything needs replaced. The PCM was spitting out the codes to their diagnostic computer. Of course if the PCM is faulty then the codes probably were too. They replaced those parts and it broke down on me in the exact same manner. Anyway...no more Jeeps for me. I'm 2 for 2 with electrical issues. This one is a major safety issue though. I'm just glad my wife wasn't driving it when it happened. Thanks again.

justalayman

what was the part they replaced the first time?

and to not having your vehicle: you are welcome to take it to another garage. Unless it is the garages fault you are without a vehicle, looking to them for some form of compensation due to that is misguided.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">