• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical bill just recieved for service 10 mo ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdpcoco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I just recieved a medical bill for a procedure done in Aug of 2010. Is this right? Do I have to pay it? Can I ask for a Discount?? Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I just recieved a medical bill for a procedure done in Aug of 2010. Is this right?
Sure, why not?
Do I have to pay it?
Did you receive the services? Did you have insurance? If you had insurance, submit it to them. If not, then yes, you need to pay it.
Can I ask for a Discount??
Sure, why not? They are under no obligation to give you a discount, but it can't hurt to ask!
Thank you
You're Welcome!

commentator

I have just had this work for me. However, it helped my argument quite a bit that I have been "chasing" this bill, have been calling about this bill, have been keeping up with this unsent bill for the last many months.

And yes, I even got the discount for prompt and complete payment, since, as I pointed out to them, this was the first time I had ever received the correct bill in the correct amount for this procedure.

Have you been aware of this bill, did you check with your insurance when you never saw it? Have you spoken to the billing department before? If not, stress this, you haven't heard a word from them. If so, emphasize that you've been making a good faith effort to get this resolved.

Either way, it certainly wouldn't hurt to speak with someone in the office, and request that if you go right on and pay can you get a discount?

But yes, of course you still have to pay it even if it's over a year old.

Last edited:

commentator

Thanks, zig. Live and learn, I guess. Maybe I shouldn't have been chasing these folks so diligently trying to give them my money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">