• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VALLC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently registered for a LLC and will do the EIN thing and the business bank account once that comes. The LLC is for a online software company where i'll be selling purely non-tangible. I've spent many hours googling LLC taxes and even looked at the IRS tax pdfs and ones for my state but i'm still confused so i'm hoping someone here can give some advice, as I know quite a few of you are actually in Virginia, yay!(learned this from searching posts here)

my understanding is the estimated quarterly taxes are for you to pay the 13.3%(for 2011) annually self employment tax aswell as income tax in parts. But this is extremely confusing, not using the formula for the previous year and just estimating for that year based off no revenue how would I go about this? say you made $1000 for the current quarter in net income, without any deductions how much of this would be taxed for that quarter?

also what kinda state taxes am I looking at for Virginia? and besides the EIN is that the last step before I can start selling stuff?

FlyingRon

Do the best you can. If you have no previous SE income, they cut you a bit of slack on this years estimated payments. Make sure you pay the tax on all the income for the "quarter" that's due.

As for Virginia, you will need to apply for a sales tax license for the in state sales. This is only particularly onerous in that you must continue to make the reports even on months you don't have sales.

Many counties in Virginia have a gross receipts tax on Businesses (Fairfax does as well, It doesn't trigger until you make more than $100K in a year though).

VALLC

Do the best you can. If you have no previous SE income, they cut you a bit of slack on this years estimated payments. Make sure you pay the tax on all the income for the "quarter" that's due.

As for Virginia, you will need to apply for a sales tax license for the in state sales. This is only particularly onerous in that you must continue to make the reports even on months you don't have sales.

Many counties in Virginia have a gross receipts tax on Businesses (Fairfax does as well, It doesn't trigger until you make more than $100K in a year though).
Hi thanks for the response, I definitely appreciate it, I looked up sales tax and this site How and Why To Get A State Sales Tax Number is talking about shipping tangible goods, do I still need a sales tax license even though i'm doing purely egoods with no shipping?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">