• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

substance abuse counselor puts me in unnecessary expensive program. how to fight it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juntjoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? fl

i was put on probation for misdemeanor marijauna and felony prescription drug w/out prescription(sister's clonazepam) charges and my PO had me go to this substance abuse clinic to be evaluated for drug problems and in answering her questions I told the counselor how I seldom took the pills and smoked marijuana for stress and depression and she prescribed me this $350 12 week program, I'm assuming for people with drug problems, of which I'm not one of.

I feel completely robbed. She spent the majority of the questions getting getting to painful and personal issues then gets me to admit to some drug usage then bam, hits me with $350 12 week program robbery deal. I get this feeling they can do what they want with their certificates or licences or whatever gives them their power, but how is she exactly qualified to impose such bs on a person and how can I appeal her decision? Do I request an appointment with a different counselor or some doctor or something then take them(the clinic) to court? Do I have any legal recourse? The probation is costing me enough. The last thing I need is more unnecessary punishment. Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would suggest that you take this opportunity to help you get a handle on your drug problem.

juntjoo

haha, even if I did, the probation, which requires one not to use otherwise face consequences should be enough. I think they're just trying to fill seats worth $26.50 in these classes.

Zigner

haha, even if I did, the probation, which requires one not to use otherwise face consequences should be enough. I think they're just trying to fill seats worth $26.50 in these classes.
I predict that this class will be the least of your worries in the future.

The Occultist

Well there are alternatives to taking the drug class. Oh, wait, just one: jail. You did something stupid, got caught, and now you're paying for it. Deal with it. And no, do not try to convince us that the future potential punishments are enough to deter you from your drug problem, because it apparently the thought of jail wasn't enough to deter you in the first place.

For the record, my high and mighty attitude I'm displaying towards you is due to the fact that I've been in your position, but I didn't handle it like a self-entitled baby.

Isis1

Well there are alternatives to taking the drug class. Oh, wait, just one: jail. You did something stupid, got caught, and now you're paying for it. Deal with it. And no, do not try to convince us that the future potential punishments are enough to deter you from your drug problem, because it apparently the thought of jail wasn't enough to deter you in the first place.

For the record, my high and mighty attitude I'm displaying towards you is due to the fact that I've been in your position, but I didn't handle it like a self-entitled baby.
May I applause?

juntjoo

apparently the only thing you learned was that you were a self entitled baby, just as they taught you think. you speak like you know everything. #1 this isn't punishment. it's supposed to be rehab for people with drug problems, which would be me of course according to god here because you know me because you were me when you were the self entitled baby, but #2 no, you're not, you're more likely an evil low self esteem internet troll looking to put people down and think of yourself as high and mighty which sounds like how you learned to "deal with it"

and please, for the rest of any of you hyenas prowling around here waiting to pounce, i'll just see myself out if you don't mind...

dave33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? fl

i was put on probation for misdemeanor marijauna and felony prescription drug w/out prescription(sister's clonazepam) charges and my PO had me go to this substance abuse clinic to be evaluated for drug problems and in answering her questions I told the counselor how I seldom took the pills and smoked marijuana for stress and depression and she prescribed me this $350 12 week program, I'm assuming for people with drug problems, of which I'm not one of.

I feel completely robbed. She spent the majority of the questions getting getting to painful and personal issues then gets me to admit to some drug usage then bam, hits me with $350 12 week program robbery deal. I get this feeling they can do what they want with their certificates or licences or whatever gives them their power, but how is she exactly qualified to impose such bs on a person and how can I appeal her decision? Do I request an appointment with a different counselor or some doctor or something then take them(the clinic) to court? Do I have any legal recourse? The probation is costing me enough. The last thing I need is more unnecessary punishment. Thanks in advance.

Not much you can do now. If you signed a release for probation than you are
stuck. You admitted to drug use and than told them you did not have a problem. This is exactly what they consider to be a problem. Now this information has been forwarded to your p.o.

Being ordered for an evaluation is basically being ordered to seek treatment.

Explain the financial issue with your p.o. maybe the probation costs could be reduced if you can show hardship.

juntjoo

You admitted to drug use and than told them you did not have a problem. This is exactly what they consider to be a problem.
Being ordered for an evaluation is basically being ordered to seek treatment.

This may be the key to what happened. Unfortunately it looks like they're not really looking into whether someone has a "substance abuse problem" or not. A coworker had advised me to completely deny any use drugs to avoid having to be put on any program and I guess I should have taken him literally. I'm not a good liar and was naive to think the lady in front of me would feel the same as I do about my "drug problem".

Prove hardship? like, submit a low paycheck or something? Thanks

Zigner

This may be the key to what happened. Unfortunately it looks like they're not really looking into whether someone has a "substance abuse problem" or not.
Bull - you already have TOLD them you have a substance abuse problem. The only one who doesn't realize that is YOU.

Congrats on alienating a highly respected member of this forum.

I do hope you get help for your problem, starting with REALIZING it's a problem.

juntjoo

Bull - you already have TOLD them you have a substance abuse problem. The only one who doesn't realize that is YOU.

Congrats on alienating a highly respected member of this forum.

I do hope you get help for your problem, starting with REALIZING it's a problem.
yeah, and you got a twinkie and cheeseburger abuse problem. you apparently borrow your opinions from other idiots. grow a mind of your own.

Zigner

People who don't admit their problem usually get VERY defensive when their problem is pointed out.

CdwJava

Mandatory drug counseling is a common penalty for drug related offenses. You were convicted of a drug offense and it was probably inevitable that you would have to enroll in a program.

You admitted to taking pills not prescribed to you and smoking marijuana, that demonstrates a problem whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

You are free to decline and see what happens. You might go to jail, you might not ... it all depends on whether or not this is a recommendation or a requirement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">