• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involvement with lawyer negatively affecting my case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowhereville

Ok so I'll try and keep this brief. I hired a DUI lawyer in November and about two weeks after hiring him we started having sex. Since then, for about six months now, he will call me at least once a week, always late at night saying he has case related stuff to discuss with me but of course he just wants to have sex. I went along with it for a while for the sake of my case, but now I'm afraid my case is in jeopardy regardless. When I finally stopped answering his late night phone calls, he began saying that I was uncompliant and unwilling to meet with him. Last night he even threatened to withdraw from my case because I refused to come to his apartment late at night. This whole situation has gotten completely out of control and I don't know what to do...

Last edited:

sandyclaus

Ok so I'll try and keep this brief. I hired a DUI lawyer in November and about two weeks after hiring him we started having sex. Since then, for about six months now, he will call me at least once a week, always late at night saying he has case related stuff to discuss with me but of course he just wants to have sex. I went along with it for a while for the sake of my case, but now I'm afraid my case is in jeopardy regardless. When I finally stopped answering his late night phone calls, he began saying that I was uncompliant and unwilling to meet with him. Last night he even threatened to withdraw from my case because I refused to come to his apartment late at night. This whole situation has gotten completely out of control and I don't know what to do...
Sorry, US LAW ONLY. There's a reason why that question is put up there, but you decided to delete it.

tranquility

The state is important because the specific rules are state by state, but, it is almost assuredly unethical for this attorney to act this way. Starting a sexual relationship with a client is always problematical--at best. Here, making threats if the relationship doesn't continue? That may be more than an ethical violation, that may be a crime. See another attorney and tell him your story. He will guide you the best path.

Mass_Shyster

Under Model Rules of Professional Conduct (Which many US states have adopted):

Client-Lawyer Relationship
Rule 1.8 Conflict Of Interest: Current Clients: Specific Rules
(j) A lawyer shall not have sexual relations with a client unless a consensual sexual relationship existed between them when the client-lawyer relationship commenced.
Since you did not answer which state you are in (if any) you'll need to find out for yourself if your state has adopted these rules.

Hot Topic

I think this individual would have a hard time proving she was forced into a sexual relationship.

tranquility

I agree. From the ethical point of view, it is the starting of a relationship with a client that is the problem. From a criminal point of view:
I went along with it for a while for the sake of my case, but now I'm afraid my case is in jeopardy regardless. When I finally stopped answering his late night phone calls, he began saying that I was uncompliant and unwilling to meet with him. Last night he even threatened to withdraw from my case because I refused to come to his apartment late at night.
This sounds a lot like extortion. The police will gladly help a person get a member of the defense Bar for extortion.

nowhereville

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm in Georgia, didn't realize I was going to be attacked for forgetting to mention my state. I'm not saying I was forced into the situation by any means, but now that I'm in it I can't get out and it is having negative impacts on my case. I know what he's doing is wrong I just wanted advice on the best way to handle this or what I should do...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am curious...and it has no bearing what-so-ever on your situation...are you female?

Hot Topic

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm in Georgia, didn't realize I was going to be attacked for forgetting to mention my state. I'm not saying I was forced into the situation by any means, but now that I'm in it I can't get out and it is having negative impacts on my case. I know what he's doing is wrong I just wanted advice on the best way to handle this or what I should do...

Don't expect an apology because you intentionally deleted the question about the state you lived in.

You can always fire an attorney and this case report his conduct to the State Bar. Your claim that you "can't get out" is questionable, and I see you going along with it without putting up too much of a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">