• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gave my debit card information to a stranger. AND SIGNED A CONTRACT! (CA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

james32844

So heres the story: While at my university, I was approached by an individual who was promoting an 'incredible deal' concerning extreme sports activities, such as surfing, motocross, and skydiving. Identifying himself as an 'xtremesocal' agent, he explained this deal to me and that if I bought it, I would be able to participate in many of these extreme activities for a minimal fee of $100.

Being a selfish stupid college student, I couldn't help but let him talk me into it and take advantage of this 'offer'. The agent then pressed my debit card against the receipt and I continued to sign it, effectively giving him access to my checking account.

This happened earlier today. Now I realized that this whole thing looks shady.

Here's the contract: http://i.imgur.com/paAkh.jpg

I just called my bank and canceled my debit card, but I'm worried about the agreement I signed, especially the $30 cancellation fee they requested. I'm not paying that. I did send them an e-mail requesting a cancellation, though. They have my name, phone, zip code, and (now void) debit card. They will be unable to charge it. The contract says they will add a $10 charge each time they are unable to.

So, what do you think? What will a fraudulent company be able to do with a signed contract and closed debit card? Anything else I need to do?

P.S. Any idea how to report this scam to the government?

justalayman

What will a fraudulent company be able to do with a signed contract and closed debit card?
keep trying to debit your account racking up that $10 a pop. Then they can eventually sue you for non-payment of the contract you signed. Then when they get a judgment, which will end up on your credit report, they can take whatever legal actions they are allowed to collect on the judgment.

So, you cut your losses, pay the $30 and whatever fees you have racked up and consider it a lesson in life. I'm sure it is a lot less than a credit hour at your school. Pretty cheap lesson if you think about it.

You do realize there is no cancellation allowance on that contract, right?

Even if you pay the $100, it's still a cheap lesson and I bet you will remember it better than 1/2 the stuff you learn in college.

james32844

OK, new information. Here's the actual image of the contract, personal details blacked out: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Here is their review on Facebook, obvious scam: XtremeSoCal | Facebook

Now, they have my canceled debit card, name, student ID number, ZIP code, and signature.

However, I DID NOT place a check mark next to "I agree to pay a 1 time fee..."

If there is no check mark agreeing to the charge, does the contract still have legal weight? Can I still be sued for not paying?

justalayman

this makes no sense. In the first post you said this:

Now you say this:

OK, new information. Here's the actual image of the contract, personal details blacked out: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

so you just happen to have a two different contracts with this company laying around? Sounds like you are the vendor and somebody is trying to get out of a contract with you or you are a spammer simply trying to advertise your company.

went to the FB page; yep, looks like a real waste of time and money.

but you are right; looks like the service offered is worthless to me. I wouldn't waste my money with that company.

Last edited:

james32844

this makes no sense. In the first post you said this:

Now you say this:

so you just happen to have a two different contracts with this company laying around? Sounds like you are the vendor and somebody is trying to get out of a contract with you or you are a spammer simply trying to advertise your company.

went to the FB page; yep, looks like a real waste of time and money.

but you are right; looks like the service offered is worthless to me. I wouldn't waste my money with that company.
I know it's strange, but the first contact was actually copied from another forum post. Second one is mine.

justalayman

why would you post a contract you said was yours and then post another one that you say is yours. The first one is very different than what you now claim is yours. So, that means you were lying when you posted the first one and said it was your contract, right?

Now I realized that this whole thing looks shady.
Yes, your post does look shady.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">