• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promoting yourself with a pseudonym?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FA_user

What is the name of your state (WA)?

This is my dilemma. Let's pretend my legal name is Anne Smith but for the past 3 years, I've been telling people that my name is Madison Johnson. I hate my legal name. I find it unsuitable to my individual character, and it's a weak brand name. I haven't been able to have my name legally changed because of financial issues. I cannot afford the fees right now, and I have some debt that I want to clear up beforehand.

I'm about to create an LLC for a web design service, and I'm also seeking employment. I created a professional site for my freelance design services, and it's also one that I show to potential employers. On the site, I use the name Madison Johnson and loathe having to use Anne Smith or even Madison Smith on the site.

I am wondering what kind of legal roadblocks I might run through, particularly if I do freelance work and a client writes a check out to Madison Johnson. Would that be okay to do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">