• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible dealership fraud on used car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jason Crowell

Odometer Disclosure Statement error for used car

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
I recently purchased a used 2000 Jeep Wrangler with 83,145 miles. All paperwork and the actual odometer read 83,145 miles. On the Bill of Sale, the Odometer Disclosure Statement also says 83,145 and the box that states "The odometer reading is the actual mileage of the vehicle" was checked. This is the document that both the dealership and I signed.

Now, 6 weeks later, I have been contacted by the dealership saying that there was a paperwork error and that I need to sign a new Bill of Sale that now has the Odometer Disclosure Statement box checked that states "The odometer reading is NOT the actual mileage-WARNING ODOMETER DISCREPANCY." So now I have done some research (through the DMVand AutoCheck) into the vehicle and found that there is in fact a discrepancy. The odometer is slightly less than it was 6 years ago. The dealership is saying they did not know about it. I would NOT have purchased the vehicle If I had known about this.

mileage in 2003 38,000
mileage in 2005 83,852
mileage in 2009 78,838
mileage in 2011 83,145

This is a rather large, major Chrysler/Jeep dealership, not a small hole-in-the-wall type dealership. (if that matters at all)

And yes I know I should have dug deeper into this when I first purchased but I didn't, and I'm past that now. Anyways.....

So my questions are:
1) Is it possible the dealership really did not know about this? and if so, why not?
2) Since the LEGAL document was already signed as "actual mileage", whether they knew or not, wouldn't this be a misrepresentation of the vehicle and therefore fraudulent?
3) Do I have any rights to return the vehicle (after 6 weeks)? or get compensated with cash from the dealership?
4) No matter what, the dealer signed a LEGAL document that had false information, correct?

Last edited:

Jason Crowell

Also, This vehicle is financed and I have already made my first payment. And I have had over $600 in repairs that I have paid for (I knew about these repairs/costs at the time of the sale). I have not registered it yet and still have the temp tags... fyi

Jason Crowell

Update....

There may have been a mis-recorded mileage in 2005, and it was 53 or 63 K.

That is what the dealership is telling me they believe happened. The dealership stated that they need to get a hold of the previous owner and possibly the previous owner before that. Then we can "work things out."

So I guess my next questions would be,

Shouldn't the sale involving me and the dealer be the only two parties involved?

Shouldn't the dealer "know" what they are selling me?

If it was a "typo" on the mileage in 2005, how do I get it fixed (or will it ever be)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">