• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I stop payment on this check ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stymie222

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
I just picked up my truck from a transmission repair shop.
I was assured it drove beautifully.
After paying and driving off, I realized that something was wrong. The shop had closed (only twenty minutes later) and I could not return.

I would like to stop payment on the check in case they refuse to repair it. It is a National chain store. The Corporate complaint office was closed on Saturday.

The check was written on a Saturday. Because of Memorial day, I cannot contact the bank until Tuesday morning.

Am I within my rights to stop payment ?

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
I just picked up my truck from a transmission repair shop.
I was assured it drove beautifully.
After paying and driving off, I realized that something was wrong. The shop had closed (only twenty minutes later) and I could not return.

I would like to stop payment on the check in case they refuse to repair it. It is a National chain store. The Corporate complaint office was closed on Saturday.

The check was written on a Saturday. Because of Memorial day, I cannot contact the bank until Tuesday morning.

Am I within my rights to stop payment ?

Claiming that "something" was wrong with the car doesn't give you the right to stop payment. You couldn't do it even if you knew what that something was.

You can't assume the company will refuse to make repairs. It looks at this point that you're trying to get out of paying.

stymie222

Thanks

Not in any way trying not to pay.

Car is vibrating from some mis-alignment. The work was not properly done.

A rebuilt transmission is supposed to operate as a new one.

justalayman

there are a lot of things on a car that can vibrate and many of them have nothing to do with the transmission.

A transmission would be far from the first thing I started looking at to find a vibration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">