• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Storage Unit overlocked by Public staorage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indiefriend

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA and FL

I stay in Florida. I have a storage in Public Storage, Atlanta. In the begining of May, they levied me a Late fee for a delay in payment , which I paid off.
Thereafter, when I went to my storage a few days later, I found that they had put in an overlock on my storage unit and since it was already past office hours, I couldnt acces my storage.
That was my last day in Atlanta and hence, I had to return to Florida without getting imporatnt stuff out of my storage.
Public Storage apologized later, but I asked them to pay $400 as compensation, since that I'd have to pay to go back again later in June.
But, they are asking me to produce expense proof of $400. Isnt the mistake on their part and stress on my part enough for me to get a compensation?

justalayman

Isnt the mistake on their part and stress on my part enough for me to get a compensation?
You mean like hurt feelings? No.

All they asked for is justification of your actual costs incurred due to their action. Doesn't sound like they are asking too much to me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA and FL

I stay in Florida. I have a storage in Public Storage, Atlanta. In the begining of May, they levied me a Late fee for a delay in payment , which I paid off.
Thereafter, when I went to my storage a few days later, I found that they had put in an overlock on my storage unit and since it was already past office hours, I couldnt acces my storage.
That was my last day in Atlanta and hence, I had to return to Florida without getting imporatnt stuff out of my storage.
Public Storage apologized later, but I asked them to pay $400 as compensation, since that I'd have to pay to go back again later in June.
But, they are asking me to produce expense proof of $400. Isnt the mistake on their part and stress on my part enough for me to get a compensation?
No, it's not. Send them proof of your actual out-of-pocket expenses directly attributable to their mistake in order to be reimbursed for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">