• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership jerking me around on tltle paperwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flajeezy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hello,

I bought a new 2011 Nissan Altima on February 28th, 2011- over 3 months ago. I was told I would have the title paperwork within 30 days so that I could register the vehicle within the required 30 days after purchase (GA law). When about 3 and a half weeks passed and I still hadn't gotten anything, I called the dealership to inquire. They said that somehow my paperwork never got submitted, and had me come down to the dealership to re-sign everything. They also gave me an updated temp tag dated to expire 30 days later. All of my paperwork was still dated February 28th, because that is the day of the original contract, however the "new" date based on when this paperwork was submitted is actually March 25th.

Three weeks after the paperwork was re-signed and supposedly submitted by the dealership, I still hadn't received any paperwork. I called the dealership to inquire yet again, and they pretty much said "No worries, we have 30 days to submit it, and the state has 30 days to issue the title paperwork. Just swing by and we'll give you a new sticker for your tag (dated 30 days out again)". A few weeks after that, I got pulled over. The officer said he could tell that my temp tag was getting old and ragged, and that stickers were just being stuck one on top of the other, and that it was 100% illegal. I got a ticket for not having my vehicle registered within 30 days of purchase. I took the ticket straight to the dealership and demanded that they pay it- which they agreed to do with no issues whatsoever. They promised that they would mail me a check within a week. They claimed that the police officer was misinformed, and again claimed that they had 30 days to submit, and the state had 30 days to send back the title paperwork. They also claimed that continuing to issue me new temp tags was completely legal. I also learned that there was "some sort of discrepancy with a duplicate title on the car"- a brand new car, so I don't understand that at all. They said they were sorting it out, and promised to have my title paperwork to me within two weeks. I did some research and found out that they are completely wrong about the whole registration process- it's 30 days PERIOD, unless they submit specific paperwork to get an extension, which they certainly never did.

Here it is THREE weeks after that. My ticket is due to be paid tomorrow, and guess what? No check from the dealership yet. Of course I paid it anyway, because my license would be suspended otherwise. Also, no word on where my title paperwork is. They have promised yet again that they would have everything sorted out by this weekend.

I am SO tired of dealing with this dealership. As much as I love my new car, I am ready to give it back and take my business elsewhere. Does anyone know what my options are? It doesn't fall under the lemon law, or any of those having to do with issues specific to the car... it's all just shady business practice, and I feel like I'm being completely played. Do I have any recourse options whatsoever?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">