• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd simple marijuana possesion charge....Felony!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fugges

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I got caught with a little less than 2grams of marijuana at a "seat belt check"? It's my second offense and I wasn't worried until I found out it was a felony. What am I looking at here probation, fines, jail? Originaly I was hoping to use my AR or DEP, or some kind of community service. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Isis1

And what was your first offense? What was your sentence for that? Are you still on probation?

fugges

my first offense I had about an ounce and was charged with intent to sell/ school zone / paraphernalia /

I hired a lawyer and the charges were reduced to simple possession and paid a 450 dollar fine

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest you stop your association with illegal drugs. I suggest you take the money you made or are not spending (as the case may be) and hire an attorney to hopefully save you again.

fugges

What a sad forum! I come in to get some legal advice and all I get is strung along and then looked down upon for a marijuana charge. Hire a lawyer you say, no **** buddy.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What a sad forum! I come in to get some legal advice and all I get is strung along and then looked down upon for a marijuana charge. Hire a lawyer you say, no **** buddy.
You are looking at a FELONY. You need an attorney. You are welcome.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course I need an attorney! Is that the only advice people on here have to offer?
No, I do have another piece of advice.
Don't talk about this at all, anywhere (including the internet) to anyone except your attorney.

You know...it's that whole what you say can and will be used against you thing...

fraudwatch

Since CT decriminalized marijuana last Tuesday June 07 2011, (the 14th state to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana) under the new laws, possessing under one half-ounce is an infraction with a $150 fine. Second offense-$200-$500 added fine

I don't think the law is retroactive, as your case preceded decriminalization, and at that time a second offense was a potential: felony, 5 years, $3,000...
but considering the current climate* you can be hopeful.

*"Final approval of this legislation accepts the reality that the current law does more harm than good -- both in the impact it has on people's lives and the burden it places on police, prosecutors and probation officers of the criminal justice system."
CT Governor Dannel P. Malloy

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">