• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cops came looking for someone else, smelled weed...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shortyevans

A couple days ago, 2 sherriffs came to my door looking for someone who lived in my house several months ago(prior to me moving in) They came with a warrant for his arrest. I told them to go to see the landlord, which they did (he lives 3 houses away) they came back a few minutes later, and said the first time they came, they smelled marijuana coming from my house, and they wanted to come in and search. I told them no. They threatened to get a seach warrant. I called my husband into the room, and he told them to get it. They began to intimidate us by telling us our house was surrounded by police, that they were calling detectives to come, and no one would be let in our out until the warrant came. {We did have weed in the house less than 1/8, with a blunt rolled, and a bong and a pipe)
My husband shut the door and ate the weed, blunt and all, and hid the pipe. He finally told the cops to come and search, and he gave them the bong. They said all they wanted to look for was evidence of manufacturing. They found nothing. 1. Do they have the ability now (days later) to come back with a search warrant, or to "check in on us"
2. Can we do anything about them intimidating us? They also threatened us by telling us that "social services could be called in, and we wouldn't want to loose our son over this"
Do we have any recourse???

We live in Washington state, just outside Seattle city limits.
(Sorry its so long : )

calatty

You did the right thing by insisting on your right not to have your house searched without a warrant (at least until there was nothing to find). It is very doubtful they could get a warrant based on having smelled marijuana smoke days earlier, especially as they already did a search and found nothing. You can always file a complaint with your local police review commission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">