• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens when a corporation does not have money to hire a lawer to defend it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sracer114

What is the name of your state (New Jersey)?

I am currently in litigation with a company that is suing my corporation. The case is in federal court - not sure if it is because of the amount of the civil suit or if its because the Plaintiff resides in Canada.

In any case, the company that is suing me actually destroyed my corporation due to some fraud. This all happened in June of 2009 and at the end of June my corporation stopped doing business because it was completely broke. There are no assets, there are no bank accounts nothing left.

I originally hired an attorney to represent me in the case. To be honest, I'm not sure why. I can't afford an attorney and the corporation has nothing. I have all the grounds to counter sue but can't afford it. I can't shut down the corporation because of the pending litigation and I am assuming the judge is going to simply award them a default judgment.

So finally here's my question, I have been told that I can not represent my self pro se since it is a corporation. So what will actually happen in this situation? My told my attorney to file all the paperwork necessary to remove himself from the case.

Thank you for any advice!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Handcoc

The result is non-representation & a default judgment. ie your corporation will lose its case. What that means to you personally, I don't know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">