• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TV repair rip off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starstruck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently took my television to a local repair shop. The repair man and his wife said I needed to pay them $40 so he could buy the part he needed and after the repair was complete one of them would let me know how much more I would need to pay. I was a little suspicious about having to pay them up front so I made the wife write me out a receipt. A little while later she called and said she was going to "give me a break" and that I would only owe them $15 and that my television was fixed and she would get back in touch with me to arrange a time for me to pick up my television.

A couple days later the repairman (her husband) called to tell me that he had fixed my tv and I told him that his wife said I only owed $15 and I could pick it up. He said "Really, she said that. Well I don't know. I don't think my wife and I are on the same level and there must have been a breakdown in communication somewhere" and he said he would have to call me back.

I haven't received any phone calls from them and I've left at least six messages and no one will return my call. My question is, since the wife quoted me $15 isn't that a verbal agreement? Can the husband come in and change the price that was already set by her? I think I'm getting ripped off here and I'm not really sure what my options are. I already paid the $40 so I'm out that much and now I don't even have my t.v. Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Verbal agreements (without additional evidence of the agreement) are worth the paper they are written on.

xylene

How much did you expect to spend?

You paid 40 for the part.

Totally legit.

If you were concerned about price...

You should have asked for an estimate or a least a statement of hourly rate.

BEFORE the work was done.

I find it very possible the wife made a mistake because shoe repair costs more than $15. :rolleyes:

An honest mistake in a verbal statement is not an enforceable agreement.

If you didn't have an agreement than the TV guy is entitled to "quantum meruit" or the fair value of his work.

Which I am quite sure is more than 15 dollars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">