• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i screwed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justbuzzed

My name is Joe, i am from West hartford, Connecticut and i have a big problem i would like some advice on

I recently put a 2 thousand dollar down payment on a Jeep Liberty to purchase from a local (independent) dealer,

i paid down payment, did all necessary paperwork (pay stubs, bank statement, references, etc) and signed off with their bank for the purchase

I was then told that delivery date was to be two days from then.

The dealerships was to include tax, title and registration into loan

I found out on delivery day when they went to register it that taxes were owed in my name to the town i used to live in and i cannot get clearance for registration of the car with MVD until all taxes are paid.

i asked the dealership to rescind the deal - keep the Jeep and give me my down payment back, i even offered to let then keep a couple hundred for their troubles

they balked and gave me several, hesitant talking reasons why they cant give me my down payment back

I really think they are pissed they are losing out on the interest i would be paying on the car over 4 years.

their biggest reason according to them was that i "officially" own the car cause the bank already approved the loan

so i said let me tow the car to my driveway, let it sit in my driveway and still make the monthly payments, even insure it if i have to, and register it when i pay all my back taxes.

they said it is not leaving the lot unless its registered

my issue, does the dealership have a legal right to keep the car and down payment if i cannot get all the taxes paid on time and register the car?

Am i screwed?
West Hartford, Ct

Ct statute ch 246, sec. 14-12

(a) No motor vehicle shall be operated or towed on any highway, except as otherwise expressly provided, unless it is registered with the commissioner, provided any motor vehicle may be towed for repairs or necessary work if it bears the markers of a licensed and registered dealer, manufacturer or repairer and provided any motor vehicle which is validly registered in another state may, for a period of sixty days following establishment by the owner of residence in this state, be operated on any highway without first being registered with the commissioner.
In other words I think you will not be able to just tow it away and the dealership is under no obligation to help you solve your problem. So pay the bank what you owe them and the taxing authority what you owe them. Its pretty simple.

Handcoc

If you own it, you own it. They cannot hold your vehicle hostage for the state.

You have the keys, right? Just go get it and do what you said you would do. Go on sat. nite or sunday morning.

The vehicle's in the lot.

I don't think the bank will issue the loan really without the car being able to be titled. Call the bank, maybe they can help.

OHRoadwarrior

All you should need to do is have the loan company amend the loan adding the local sales tax and paying it via the dealer. I can't imagine this being a great issue. If you owe from a previous vehicle just pay it. Here is the DMV's info...

Resolving Registration Suspension
for Unpaid Property Tax

To resolve either a pending or effective registration suspension for unpaid property tax on a motor vehicle, you must contact the tax town which has reported you as delinquent and clear the record with the Collector of Revenue in that jurisdiction. The Tax Collector must then complete and forward a Compliance Notification (form L-22) to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The DMV can take no action until the clearance notification is received from the Collector of Revenue.

If the tax issue is fully resolved before the effective date of suspension noted on your suspension notice, the suspension will be rescinded and you need take no further action. However, if the tax issue is resolved on or after the effective date of suspension, you must submit a check or money order payable to "DMV" in the amount of $175 to restore your registration privilege. You may use the pre-addressed envelope enclosed with the suspension notice; if that is unavailable mail the item(s) to:

State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Services Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-2525

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">