• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Employer's Tax Responsibilities List

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ergaster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have just hired my first employee (part-time, as-needed, occasional) and am trying to fill in the blanks in my new payroll software.

Can someone tell me or point me to a chart that tells me all the withholding I need to enter for employee, employer, federal and State of California? My software auto-entered some, but not all. I am piecing it together from various sources, but I cannot find a complete all-in-one list. Here’s what I got so far:

Employee
Fed WH ………… (Internal, calculated by the software)
Soc Sec …………... 4.2% (with 106800 limit)
Medicare ………… 1.45%
State WH ……….. (Internal, calculated by the software)
State (CA) SDI …. 1.2% (With limit of 93316)

The above was auto filled in by the software after entering my state and the number of allowances. Am I missing anything?

Employer
FUI ………. 0.8 % (with 7000 limit)
SUI ………. 3.4 % (I figured because I’m new)
Soc Sec …... 6.2 % (with 106800 limit)
Medicar ….. 1.45 % (with 7000 limit)
ETT ……… 0.1 % (with 7000 limit)

Except for the FUI, I had to find out all the above myself. State of CA info documents helped a lot, but I'm not sure I'm reading them correctly. Am I missing anything else here?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">