• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prescription Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Papawarlock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I've read through most of the threads here and nothing quite matches up with what I'm trying to figure out.

2 months ago I was discharged from a Pain Management facility under the charge of prescription fraud. The letter stated that I called in and had someone call in claiming to be from their office to obtain a prescription for Ultram (a synthetic narcotic for pain management). A medication I'd been taking for nearly 4 years under their instruction. I was taking Ultram ER daily and Hydrocodone for sharp pain spikes or extremely painful days. The odd thing is they're claiming I forged the prescription for Ultram but not the Hydrocodone. I've got my medical file that shows they prescribed Ultram to me prior to the date in question, yet they claim the medication was not part of my treatment plan.

I've talked to a lawyer who's told me I have nothing to worry about based off all the information I gave him. However I don't have $1000 to pay his retainer fee. He was surprised to learn that the Va State Police had not yet contacted me in regards to the allegation. That was a month ago.

I have enough pain medication (hydrocone 10/325) to last about another month. I can't go to another pain management clinic with this allegation sitting on me.

While it stands to reason I shouldn't go looking for trouble, I can't help but wonder if should go to a local branch of the State Police to find out if anything has been done in regards to the allegation of fraud.

Is there any way to find out if anything has been done or resolved? I sent a letter to the head of the Pain Management Center but never recieved a reply. I can't really afford a lawyer to deal with this, but I want to be able to continue pain management.

If you have a prescription then why don't you go to a Wal-greens or other pharmacy. It would seem to be less hassle. Save up for the retainer so you have it if they ever decide to charge you. Your attorney says you have nothing to worry about so I wouldn't second guess them.

Papawarlock

If you have a prescription then why don't you go to a Wal-greens or other pharmacy. It would seem to be less hassle. Save up for the retainer so you have it if they ever decide to charge you. Your attorney says you have nothing to worry about so I wouldn't second guess them.

I no longer have a valid prescription due to the accusation. Wal-Green's kept asking me if my Doctor knew I was taking both the Ultram and the Hydrocodone. I told them several times over the last year that my doctor knew because he was the one who prescribed both. Told them to please feel free to call and verify. They called to verify and then the Pain Management place I was going to suddenly decided that the Ultram "is not part of my Treatment Plan" and subsequently terminated my care. They also said they would notify the proper authorities, in Va that's the State Police.

I obtained copies of my medical file that shows 3 valid prescriptions from them, but oddly one call in from the Pain Management place in November. My file also shows on one form where they marked the box stating "Medications Unchanged" yet on another form, Ultram is lined through. My signature is missing from that form but shows up on all the other Treatment Plan forms where they gave me refills for the Ultram. Also a yearly drug test conducted by the Pain Management clinic showing Ultram in my system along with a statement saying that the Ultram use was disclosed by me.

Because of the letter they sent claiming I forged the prescription, I can't go to another Pain Management clinic until the charges or claim is dismissed.

I guess my other option is to ask my regular doctor if he can prescribe me anything. Problem is it's Workman's Compensation due to a work related injury (ruptured disc, spinal fusion surgery). I don't know if he can prescribe me anything for chronic pain management. I did call OWCP but they said they hadn't heard anything.

Last edited:
I no longer have a valid prescription due to the accusation. Wal-Green's kept asking me if my Doctor knew I was taking both the Ultram and the Hydrocodone. I told them several times over the last year that my doctor knew because he was the one who prescribed both. Told them to please feel free to call and verify. They called to verify and then the Pain Management place I was going to suddenly decided that the Ultram "is not part of my Treatment Plan" and subsequently terminated my care. They also said they would notify the proper authorities, in Va that's the State Police.

I obtained copies of my medical file that shows 3 valid prescriptions from them, but oddly one call in from the Pain Management place in November. My file also shows on one form where they marked the box stating "Medications Unchanged" yet on another form, Ultram is lined through. My signature is missing from that form but shows up on all the other Treatment Plan forms where they gave me refills for the Ultram. Also a yearly drug test conducted by the Pain Management clinic showing Ultram in my system along with a statement saying that the Ultram use was disclosed by me.

Because of the letter they sent claiming I forged the prescription, I can't go to another Pain Management clinic until the charges or claim is dismissed.

I guess my other option is to ask my regular doctor if he can prescribe me anything. Problem is it's Workman's Compensation due to a work related injury (ruptured disc, spinal fusion surgery). I don't know if he can prescribe me anything for chronic pain management. I did call OWCP but they said they hadn't heard anything.
It sounds to me like perhaps the clinic screwed up in prescribing two opoids and thus increasing the risk for seizures. To cover their tracks they placed the blame on you. The drug interaction is likely what Wal-greens picked up on. It's possible for doctors to prescribe medications that interact but only under careful monitoring. That's just a stab at what may be going on.

Again, I'm not going to second guess legal advice you had previously been given. If you didn't forge it, the burden is on the prosecution to prove that you forged the script. And if you indeed haven't that should be difficult especially given the documentation that you have.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited:

Papawarlock

A bit thank you. I'm just worried I won't be able to get any medication in the future due to this. I just want the nightmare to go away ye know?

kjizzle

A bit thank you. I'm just worried I won't be able to get any medication in the future due to this. I just want the nightmare to go away ye know?
I have been prescribed both Ultram and Hydrocodone together for years. Am I understanding that they accussed you of calling in your own script? If so then if you did not do that then you have proof. If someone called in a prescription in your name and you did not pick it up then there is no problem.
You do need to clear this up as your record will reflect this and hurt you in the future as far as getting further treatment. I would go in and speak to the clinic owner personally.:)

Papawarlock

I have been prescribed both Ultram and Hydrocodone together for years. Am I understanding that they accussed you of calling in your own script? If so then if you did not do that then you have proof. If someone called in a prescription in your name and you did not pick it up then there is no problem.
You do need to clear this up as your record will reflect this and hurt you in the future as far as getting further treatment. I would go in and speak to the clinic owner personally.:)
I had called in thinking I had a refill. I was told I had none left and since I had an appointment 3 days later I told them I'd get a prescription from the doctor. I informed the doctor's office I was out at the appointment. I was told they'd take care of it and I picked it up that evening.

As for talking to the head person, they refuse to let me speak to him to clear up the matter. Sent him a letter outlining everything and have had no response back. Yet they also tell me that I can go elsewhere and simply not have my files released. .... .... Yeah, right /sigh/

Well I'll see what my regular doctor can do for me and see how this runs it's course.

Thank you though.

dave33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I've read through most of the threads here and nothing quite matches up with what I'm trying to figure out.

2 months ago I was discharged from a Pain Management facility under the charge of prescription fraud. The letter stated that I called in and had someone call in claiming to be from their office to obtain a prescription for Ultram (a synthetic narcotic for pain management). A medication I'd been taking for nearly 4 years under their instruction. I was taking Ultram ER daily and Hydrocodone for sharp pain spikes or extremely painful days. The odd thing is they're claiming I forged the prescription for Ultram but not the Hydrocodone. I've got my medical file that shows they prescribed Ultram to me prior to the date in question, yet they claim the medication was not part of my treatment plan.

I've talked to a lawyer who's told me I have nothing to worry about based off all the information I gave him. However I don't have $1000 to pay his retainer fee. He was surprised to learn that the Va State Police had not yet contacted me in regards to the allegation. That was a month ago.

I have enough pain medication (hydrocone 10/325) to last about another month. I can't go to another pain management clinic with this allegation sitting on me.

While it stands to reason I shouldn't go looking for trouble, I can't help but wonder if should go to a local branch of the State Police to find out if anything has been done in regards to the allegation of fraud.

Is there any way to find out if anything has been done or resolved? I sent a letter to the head of the Pain Management Center but never recieved a reply. I can't really afford a lawyer to deal with this, but I want to be able to continue pain management.
Something here does not make sense. Did the clinic make a formal complaint?
If they did and you have not been charged than there is not enough evidence at this point. They may have reacted to soon. They may have made a mistake.

I would really try and get that $ together. If you cannot than you will not have an attorney until you are charged. If you are not charged and the clinic made a mistake than to get satisfaction you will need an attorney. You may also want to talk to an attorney about civil action.

Do not go to the police w/out a lawyer.

OHRoadwarrior

His issue is not that he has been confronted by the police. His issue is that he now has a declaration of impropriety in his medical file. It will be virtually impossible for him to find a medical provider willing to prescribe the medication he is taking.

dave33

His issue is not that he has been confronted by the police. His issue is that he now has a declaration of impropriety in his medical file. It will be virtually impossible for him to find a medical provider willing to prescribe the medication he is taking.

Understood. That is why I suggested the attorney and possible civil action.

The basis for the "declaration of impropriety" is the prescription fraud. If it is determined that no fraud occured than he may have an avenue for satisfaction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">