• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High school overseas summer program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momo1tx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

In late March I signed up my daughter (a rising 11th grader) for a high school summer program (over the internet) in London from an outfit located in Chicago, IL. We promptly paid our deposit and fees and she was "accepted." We were supposed to get further information in late April, and when nothing showed up I figured they were just running a little behind.

In mid May, the director calls and leaves a message stating that the age group for the London program is younger HS kids, and would my daughter want to switch to the Barcelona program that has kids more her age? We left a message back with him saying no, she really wants to be in London and doesn't mind younger kids at all. He calls back and starts the hard sell for the Barcelona program, saying the other kids in the program are rising 10th graders, and the 1 older student in the program "happily" switched to the Barcelona program. He also said that he's seen this before and it doesn't work out well and basically pushing us to switch her. Even though we assured him she doesn't mind younger kids and really wants to go to London, he was persistent and started saying how most parents would be "grateful" that he was so concerned about the program for our child, etc. We said we'd think about it. I called him back and talked again with him, again the hard sell for Barcelona, and now the group of rising 10th graders were now rising NINTH graders (i.e. just completed 8th grade)--I said I didn't realize his program was even available for younger kids since the website clearly says HS programs and he said, well he doesn't *advertise* that but he does take younger kids...when I pressed him further he said the group changes due to kids dropping out unable to pay the tuition, etc. and now the TWO other older kids in the London program were happy to transfer to Barcelona, etc. The story kept changing, and he all but said there was no program for our daughter but he would not say the program was cancelled, which is what it seemed like what was going on. He said he would rather refund our money than take a risk that our daughter would be unhappy in the London program, and I agreed, saying we expected a FULL refund and when would that be mailed out? He said June 1 but based on the phone conversation (and the feeling of bait-and-switch) and his general demeanor on the phone, I am almost 100% certain we will have to use legal methods to recover all of our money. I haven't contacted a lawyer yet because I fear the legal expenses would outweigh the money we are trying to recover ($7100). My question is, what should my strategy be, before I have to resort to a lawyer? Can I sue him in small claims court in Virginia? Should I contact the Chicago consumer protection agency or the Illinois Attorney General? I am thinking I will send him a certified letter requesting a full refund, cc'ing one of the consumer protection agencies but am pretty certain that will not result in anything so I would like to know what I should do next.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

In late March I signed up my daughter (a rising 11th grader) for a high school summer program (over the internet) in London from an outfit located in Chicago, IL. We promptly paid our deposit and fees and she was "accepted." We were supposed to get further information in late April, and when nothing showed up I figured they were just running a little behind.

In mid May, the director calls and leaves a message stating that the age group for the London program is younger HS kids, and would my daughter want to switch to the Barcelona program that has kids more her age? We left a message back with him saying no, she really wants to be in London and doesn't mind younger kids at all. He calls back and starts the hard sell for the Barcelona program, saying the other kids in the program are rising 10th graders, and the 1 older student in the program "happily" switched to the Barcelona program. He also said that he's seen this before and it doesn't work out well and basically pushing us to switch her. Even though we assured him she doesn't mind younger kids and really wants to go to London, he was persistent and started saying how most parents would be "grateful" that he was so concerned about the program for our child, etc. We said we'd think about it. I called him back and talked again with him, again the hard sell for Barcelona, and now the group of rising 10th graders were now rising NINTH graders (i.e. just completed 8th grade)--I said I didn't realize his program was even available for younger kids since the website clearly says HS programs and he said, well he doesn't *advertise* that but he does take younger kids...when I pressed him further he said the group changes due to kids dropping out unable to pay the tuition, etc. and now the TWO other older kids in the London program were happy to transfer to Barcelona, etc. The story kept changing, and he all but said there was no program for our daughter but he would not say the program was cancelled, which is what it seemed like what was going on. He said he would rather refund our money than take a risk that our daughter would be unhappy in the London program, and I agreed, saying we expected a FULL refund and when would that be mailed out? He said June 1 but based on the phone conversation (and the feeling of bait-and-switch) and his general demeanor on the phone, I am almost 100% certain we will have to use legal methods to recover all of our money. I haven't contacted a lawyer yet because I fear the legal expenses would outweigh the money we are trying to recover ($7100). My question is, what should my strategy be, before I have to resort to a lawyer? Can I sue him in small claims court in Virginia? Should I contact the Chicago consumer protection agency or the Illinois Attorney General? I am thinking I will send him a certified letter requesting a full refund, cc'ing one of the consumer protection agencies but am pretty certain that will not result in anything so I would like to know what I should do next.
You will need to sue him in his jurisdiction. You can send your letter, it is actually a smart thing to do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But I wouldn't bother with the "cc'ing a consumer protection agency" - don't get that adversarial just yet. (Not that it would help anyway)

momo1tx

Thanks, I am trying to behave as reasonably as possible and give this outfit an opportunity to do the right thing here before things need to get confrontational. I'll send the certified letter and give them another chance to refund. Failing that, should I start with the Chicago consumer protection agency or the Illinois attorney general?

momo1tx

Update on: High school overseas summer program, more advice please?

Thanks for responses to this issue. I sent a certified letter to the director last Friday, June 10, asking for a full refund, as agreed per phone. Not confrontational, just requesting the full refund as agreed (and thanking them if it had crossed in the mail).

On June 15 (about the day I imagine they received the certified letter), I received an email from the program assistant, telling me the initial deposit had been credited back to my credit card on May 26 (which I confirmed), and the check for the remaining amount had been mailed June 2 and I should have received it, and to contact them if I hadn't received it. I did not receive the check and I replied that I did not.

Yesterday (June 16) I received an email saying the check was actually mailed on May 26, so I most definitely should have gotten it, and they issued a stop payment on that check and the assistant "personally sent" a new check that day. I told them I would let them know as soon as I received it.

This sounds like a "dog ate my homework/check's in the mail" excuse (we've received every other mailing from this place no problem); on the other hand if they are ripping me off, why would they issue the credit card refund right away, and spin such an elaborate, semi-believable story? Or am I just being naive? A friend advised me to call them right away, demand they overnight a check with a tracking number or threaten to file in small claims immediately, as she thinks they are going to skip town, but this isn't a fly-by-night operation and they agreed to the refund in an email (i.e. in writing). I feel I should give them one more chance before issuing threats/demands but I don't want to be screwed over!!! Advice, please?

Last edited:

Zigner

Honestly, it sounds to me like they're trying to do the right thing. Give it a few more days...

Antigone*

Thanks for responses to this issue. I sent a certified letter to the director last Friday, June 3, asking for a full refund, as agreed per phone. Not confrontational, just requesting the full refund as agreed (and thanking them if it had crossed in the mail).

On June 8 (about the day I imagine they received the certified letter), I received an email from the program assistant, telling me the initial deposit had been credited back to my credit card on May 26 (which I confirmed), and the check for the remaining amount had been mailed June 2 and I should have received it, and to contact them if I hadn't received it. I did not receive the check and I replied that I did not.

Yesterday (June 9) I received an email saying the check was actually mailed on May 26, so I most definitely should have gotten it, and they issued a stop payment on that check and the assistant "personally sent" a new check that day. I told them I would let them know as soon as I received it.

This sounds like a "dog ate my homework/check's in the mail" excuse (we've received every other mailing from this place no problem); on the other hand if they are ripping me off, why would they issue the credit card refund right away, and spin such an elaborate, semi-believable story? Or am I just being naive? A friend advised me to call them right away, demand they overnight a check with a tracking number or threaten to file in small claims immediately, as she thinks they are going to skip town, but this isn't a fly-by-night operation and they agreed to the refund in an email (i.e. in writing). I feel I should give them one more chance before issuing threats/demands but I don't want to be screwed over!!! Advice, please?
They issued the credit back to the card because had you filed requested a charge back you would have recieved it anyway. The mechant card processor analyzes the number of charge backs a company has and that can affect their rates in addition to whether or not they will continue to do business with them.

I would send another CRR letter giving them 10 days from the date of the letter to issue your refund. You might just have to back up your words by suing them in their jurisdiction.

momo1tx

Final update: high school overseas summer program

Well a happy ending on this one--thanks for all the advice and help. Even though it felt like some kind of scam was going on, we did receive a check in the mail as indicated for a full refund (the check cleared, too :), including the $95 "nonrefundable" application fee. I'm not sure what was really going on and still don't know, but don't care as I have all my money back. Thanks again! I have no doubt the certified return receipt letter triggered the "quick" response...

Zigner

Well a happy ending on this one--thanks for all the advice and help. Even though it felt like some kind of scam was going on, we did receive a check in the mail as indicated for a full refund (the check cleared, too :), including the $95 "nonrefundable" application fee. I'm not sure what was really going on and still don't know, but don't care as I have all my money back. Thanks again! I have no doubt the certified return receipt letter triggered the "quick" response...
It's the "squeaky wheel" syndrome. They probably run on a very small staff, so they only deal with stuff when they're forced to. It's not all that unusual.

Congrats.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">