• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rwolfrum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca
Three years ago this sept, I was pulled over and charged with possession of marijuana (less than an ounce). The case was later dismissed, but now that I am in search of a job, I'm wondering how badly this will affect my chances of gaining employment. It was a stupid mistake, and it was my friend who was smoking it. I can't turn back time and erase it, and now I'm hoping it won't stick with me for the rest of my professional life. I am repulsed my marijuana now, and regret ever have trying it. Here are some general questions I have:
1. Do I mark "YES" when it asks if I've ever been convicted of a crime?
2. Can I get this expunged or sealed rather easily?
3. How harshly do employers judge this sort of thing?
4. How does it affect my chances of employment?
5. Even though it's dismissed does it show up on a background check?

And btw, I was not arrested, just given a ticket if that helps.

Thanks

If the case was truly dismissed then you were never convicted of a crime. You mark no when it asks if you've been convicted of a crime. Background checks will return crimes that you have been convicted for.

In addition, any marijuana charges relating to the H&S safety code of CA are erased after 2 years, so even if you were convicted 3 years ago, it shouldn't hurt you when looking for a job.

Happy job hunting.

And FYI, you were arrested. It was a citation but it's still considered an arrest. Still, if you weren't convicted of the crime then being arrested or not shouldn't matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">