• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had car inspected by certified Jeep dealer before purchase, did not find trans. prob.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamiepfef

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have no idea if I have a case here..but i'll try anyway.

I bought a 2002 Jeep from a private seller in Indiana. I went to a near by certified Jeep dealership to get the car inspected before purchase. They informed me that the fog lights were out, and a Pinon seal and Axle seal were leaking. They said those two things should not deter me from purchasing the car and they felt it was in good shape. I purchased the vehicle and drove it back home. Next day I noticed a "grinding" noise when going in reverse..but the trans was shifting fine. I took it to my mechanic in Illinois and he said it was coming from the transmission and recommend a place near by to have it looked at. I took it over to the trans place and now have to pay $1200 for something they said would probably have broken in a couple week causing terrible damage to the transmission.

I'm wondering how the jeep mechanic did not find this tranmission problem as it seems to have been an issue when I purchased it.

Do I have any ground for some sort of compensation?

Jamie

Antigone*

I bought a 2002 Jeep from a private seller in Indiana. I went to a near by certified Jeep dealership to get the car inspected before purchase. They informed me that the fog lights were out, and a Pinon seal and Axle seal were leaking. They said those two things should not deter me from purchasing the car and they felt it was in good shape. I purchased the vehicle and drove it back home. Next day I noticed a "grinding" noise when going in reverse..but the trans was shifting fine. I took it to my mechanic in Illinois and he said it was coming from the transmission and recommend a place near by to have it looked at. I took it over to the trans place and now have to pay $1200 for something they said would probably have broken in a couple week causing terrible damage to the transmission.

I'm wondering how the jeep mechanic did not find this tranmission problem as it seems to have been an issue when I purchased it.

Jamie

You purchased a used car, a 9-year old car at that. The jeep mechanic did not take the transmission apart did he? Even then, he gave you an opinion, not a guarantee.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Jamie
So, YOU didn't notice a problem until a day later. Perhaps there was nothing to notice at the time the vehicle was inspected? I mean, a symptom has to start at some point. That that point is a definite line. Prior to that point, no symptom. After that point, symptom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">