• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a praticing defence lawyer be an acting judge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crys2528

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My cousin works for an attorney and she was the magistrate at my first hearing. She bound me over to the grand jury. Isn't that a conflict of interest?

FlyingRon

Unless the judge is hearing cases that he represented a party on, I don't see any conflict, unless you're going to claim there is some prejudice against you because your cousin is one of their employees?

garrula lingua

It's very common in rural areas for Judges, especially Magistrates/Commissioners to have a separate law practice.

There is no conflict.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree. And you were bound over to the grand jury if you were charged with a felony because that is what happens. Apparently you appeared in a municipal court. Well muni court can only handle misdemeanors to conclusion so they send it to the grand jury.

OHRoadwarrior

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My cousin works for an attorney and she was the magistrate at my first hearing. She bound me over to the grand jury. Isn't that a conflict of interest?
You should have tried to bargain the relationship into a reduced charge and plea agreement. Does that sound better?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">