• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

religious songs in a talent show in public school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krissyjane12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? my name is Krystle my son Marcus who is seven was told that he could do a praise dance to a song called waging war by cc winans the day of the talent show we got their early to give them the music and I was told he could not do it because the song was to religious. I was upset because kids were up their shaking their booty and grabbing their croch but my kid could not do a praise dance. I was under the thought that the teachers or administrators could not push it on the students. I read a little about it but it seems contradicting so I'm not sure what the law is surrounding this am I right or is the school right

BOR_

Lion of Judah. Lord. God. ... lyric lines from the song ...

If these were removed I would see no issue .. although its not a song for a school setting at all IMO.

As written, I can see the school's objection as being valid.

Were there any other religious songs or themes presented in the show. The school doesn't have to give you a stage to proselytize but if other religious or anti-religious viewpoints are presented then you may have a point.

Your kid does not have to be in a talent show it's an extra-curricular. If they are having music and actions offensive to you then you could pull your child and complain to the administration.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? my name is Krystle my son Marcus who is seven was told that he could do a praise dance to a song called waging war by cc winans the day of the talent show we got their early to give them the music and I was told he could not do it because the song was to religious. I was upset because kids were up their shaking their booty and grabbing their croch but my kid could not do a praise dance. I was under the thought that the teachers or administrators could not push it on the students. I read a little about it but it seems contradicting so I'm not sure what the law is surrounding this am I right or is the school right

This is definitely not a song that a seven year old would choose on his own to perform. Perhaps the kids should go with kid songs that everyone's familiar with. I don't believe for a minute that the other kids were "shaking their booty" and grabbing their crotches. I think you were upset because your son didn't get to perform the song of your choosing.

krissyjane12

look I'm not going to argue I was not the only one that was upset a lot of parents were and he picked the song because he liked the lion of Judah part so think what you want I was there I know what happened I asked for advice not criticism

justalayman

while I don't see that particular song a good fit for a seven year old, I have a problem with refusing to allow it due to the religious nature. In the public schools in my area, it is common, almost expected the choir does a rousing rendition of The Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah at the Christmas concerts. Heck, we were singing Joy to the World and O Little Town of Bethlehem when I was a kid in school and many other religious songs.

I remember a play in school. I think it was called The Three Magi. Seems that had a bit of a religious bent to it.

Heck, we used to make Christmas decorations in school. Now if anything, that would be an endorsement for Christianity.

The allowance of playing religious based music does not mean the school endorses that religion.

CdwJava

The school was out of line.

And, yes, a 7 year old CAN choose to listen to CeCe Winans. Why not?

When my oldest was 6 and in 1st Grade, each child had a chance to read a story to the class on Friday. My son wanted to read a story from his children's Bible. The teacher told him he could not. Fortunately, a quick meeting with the principal resulted in a polite reversal of the teacher's decision and he got to read his story.

Yes, your child should have been able to dance to the song. No, this is not worth suing over. Yes, it is worth taking up with the administration to see that it does not happen again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">