• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spending money as a sole proprietorship business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anuvajoe

I'm in Washington state.

In addition to my personal checking account I have a business checking account for my sole proprietorship business. Can I freely spend or transfer the money in that business account as if it was my own personal checking account? For example, sometimes I randomly transfer money from business to checking when I feel like it and/or I use my business debit card to pay for non-business expenses. Is this legal? Am I suppose to go about a business account in different way?

Thanks in advance

Yes, you should go about it a different way. Co-mingling will make keeping your books more difficult. I don't think it's illegal but could cause you issues. Good luck :p

FlyingRon

With a sole proprietorship, you ARE the business. So the business funds are your funds. You may choose to keep them in separate accounts in order to simplify your bookkeeping, but it's not a requirement.

Antigone*

I'm in Washington state.

In addition to my personal checking account I have a business checking account for my sole proprietorship business. Can I freely spend or transfer the money in that business account as if it was my own personal checking account? For example, sometimes I randomly transfer money from business to checking when I feel like it and/or I use my business debit card to pay for non-business expenses. Is this legal? Am I suppose to go about a business account in different way?

Thanks in advance
I would personally advise you to keep your finances separate but depending on the size of your business really all that matter is that you report everything accurately when you file your return.

The bank itself does not care ~ you own both accounts.

anuvajoe

Rats! I was afraid that was the case. I've got some major cleaning up to do.

Well, what about my phone bill, car insurance & repairs, parking, parts, equipment, etc. that I use for business - must I use my business check card or bank account when paying or can I use my personal debit/credit cards too?

Can I write any business expenses off during tax time if, for example, my girlfriend paid for said expense?

Must I keep track of and document transfers from my business account to my personal account? Do I have to document transfers from my personal account to my business account too?

Antigone*

Well, what about my phone bill, car insurance & repairs, parking, parts, equipment, etc. that I use for business - must I use my business check card or bank account when paying or can I use my personal debit/credit cards too?

Can I write any business expenses off during tax time if, for example, my girlfriend paid for said expense?

Must I keep track of and document transfers from my business account to my personal account? Do I have to document transfers from my personal account to my business account too?
You need a lot more help than this forum can provide.

dmcc10880

You're likely filing a schedule C. Expenses that you pay for business expenses regardless of the account it comes out of would be deductible- otherwise not.

Do yourself a favor, treat your sole proprietorship as a separate entity. Better yet, incorporate. Funds you transfer to the corp. could be looked at as a loan and you can elect to charge the corp. interest on those loans.

Your commingling of funds can be a nightmare if you're audited. My advice is today, do not commingle funds.

Antigone*

You're likely filing a schedule C. Expenses that you pay for business expenses regardless of the account it comes out of would be deductible- otherwise not.

Do yourself a favor, treat your sole proprietorship as a separate entity. Better yet, incorporate. Funds you transfer to the corp. could be looked at as a loan and you can elect to charge the corp. interest on those loans.

Your commingling of funds can be a nightmare if you're audited. My advice is today, do not commingle funds.
Not a smart blanket statement to make.:cool: You have no clue as to what this OP's specific situation entails.

LdiJ

Once again....

With a sole proprietorship it does NOT matter how the money flows, it only matters that the income and expenses are properly recorded in the bookkeeping records, and backed up with reciepts etc.

There is no need or requirement for the OP to even maintain a separate bank account (or separate credit cards) for the business unless the OP has a business reason for doing so.

Comingling is completely irrelevant for a sole proprietorship. The OP can comingle all he wants without causing himself the slightest problem.

Whats important is his bookkeeping records of income earned and expenses paid. A balance sheet isn't even relevant because the business is HIM.

Last edited:
Once again....

With a sole proprietorship it does NOT matter how the money flows, it only matters that the income and expenses are properly recorded in the bookkeeping records, and backed up with reciepts etc.

There is no need or requirement for the OP to even maintain a separate bank account (or separate credit cards) for the business unless the OP has a business reason for doing so.

Comingling is completely irrelevant for a sole proprietorship. The OP can comingle all he wants without causing himself the slightest problem.

Whats important is his bookkeeping records of income earned and expenses paid. A balance sheet isn't even relevant because the business is HIM.

Right, and I only mentioned it for his sake. It's a little easier to keep records when funds aren't flying back and forth. But it's doable and up to OP.

dmcc10880

Not a smart blanket statement to make.:cool: You have no clue as to what this OP's specific situation entails.
Umm... incorporating has its advantages- clearly regarding liability. A corp. is a separate entity. Much easier for bookkeeping purposes. As an S-corp, income flows to the shareholders anyway. IMHO, sole proprietorships are really stupid on a number of levels. Creating a separate entity clearly makes bookkeeping a lot easier. Like I stated in my previous post, commingling funds makes for an accounting nightmare and even moreso if ever audited. Keep it simple, stupid (the kiss approach).

Antigone*

Umm... incorporating has its advantages- clearly regarding liability. A corp. is a separate entity. Much easier for bookkeeping purposes. As an S-corp, income flows to the shareholders anyway. IMHO, sole proprietorships are really stupid on a number of levels. Creating a separate entity clearly makes bookkeeping a lot easier. Like I stated in my previous post, commingling funds makes for an accounting nightmare and even moreso if ever audited. Keep it simple, stupid (the kiss approach).
Not in all situations. You made a blanket statement. You have no clue what the OP does.

LdiJ

I completely disagree with this statement when it comes to sole proprietorships.

Its all his money. None of it belongs to a separate entity or needs to be tracked separately so comingling is totally irrelevant...TOTALLY.

Once again, all he needs to do is write down his income as he makes it on a ledger sheet (keeping any checkstubs or receipts in a file folder) and when he spends money for business purposes he again writes it down on a catagorized ledger sheet and puts the receipts in a file folder.

If his business is complicated enough that ledger sheets won't work, then he needs Quickbooks or other similar accounting software, but the premise is the same.

Its completely irrelevant whether he comingles the actual money or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">