• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Justification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

Obligated, perhaps not, though centuries of US and British law generally mandates an explanation.

In fact, the Supreme Court when giving "decisions" (i.e., outcome of cases heard) always produces extensive explanation.

On the other hand, when they deny certiorari (refuse to hear a submitted case at all), they usually do not make any comment as to why.

BOR

when a ruling is made by the supreme court, are they obligated to provide reasoning?
Congress sets the # of Justices, quorum, etc., but there is NO mandate, even by thier own Rules, to provide insight.

I have read a few page decisions, and then I have read 60 page decisions.

Due to the nationwide effect of such rulings, it is a guidance for the lower courts to draft detailed opinions.

I would have hated to write out those opinions myself before the advent of the typewriter or dictation machines/tape recorder where the secretary did it then.

At times, they seem to go overboard in an analysis, but they only decide about 80-100 cases a year while being Petitioned for about 3-5 thou.

To only write such as "Lower decision affirmed/vacated" would undermine the Judicial integrity of the Highest court in the land.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">