• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divesting my s corp to take a full time job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lmorris99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North carolina.

I've been running a marginally profitable tech business as a wholly owned S corporation for 4 years. Now I have a job offer from a good company. I'd like to take it, but they won't hire me while I own a company. They see it as a conflict of interest, and I agree.

I can
-- sell my shares to my wife. But I bet the company wouldn't believe I was really out of the business then.
-- sell my shares to my office manager. But she doesn't have the money to pay me what they're worth.
-- find a business partner to buy my shares. But that will take a while, and the job is ready now.
-- ????

Any ideas?
Also, what legal document do I use to transfer the shares?

Thanks, all.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North carolina.

I've been running a marginally profitable tech business as a wholly owned S corporation for 4 years. Now I have a job offer from a good company. I'd like to take it, but they won't hire me while I own a company. They see it as a conflict of interest, and I agree.

I can
-- sell my shares to my wife. But I bet the company wouldn't believe I was really out of the business then.
-- sell my shares to my office manager. But she doesn't have the money to pay me what they're worth.
-- find a business partner to buy my shares. But that will take a while, and the job is ready now.
-- ????

Any ideas?
Also, what legal document do I use to transfer the shares?

Thanks, all.
If the business is only marginally profitable are you sure that selling the shares is the way to go rather than simply liquidating and closing the company?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">