• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer Kept Court Payment For Her Fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KymKC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
My Daughter hired a lawyer to handle some Traffic issues. In Feb 2011 she had court, the lawyer told her she didn't have to go to court (this was in Leawood KS), my daughter just needed to give the Lawyer $550 for the court fees & $500 for her fee & she would take care of it. This week she gets a letter from her lawyer stating she has court in Leawood KS on June 29th! My daughter confused called her lawyer today & she told my daughter that the $1050 she gave her in February she (the lawyer) kept for her fee. She gave her a receipt when she accepted the $1050 that she signed & wrote "Leawood Court Cost" on it. Can she tell my daughter not to show up to court, except her $ & say she will take card of it then keep it as her fee. My daughter is hysterical & I'm very angry!!! What can I do?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
My Daughter hired a lawyer to handle some Traffic issues. In Feb 2011 she had court, the lawyer told her she didn't have to go to court (this was in Leawood KS), my daughter just needed to give the Lawyer $550 for the court fees & $500 for her fee & she would take care of it. This week she gets a letter from her lawyer stating she has court in Leawood KS on June 29th! My daughter confused called her lawyer today & she told my daughter that the $1050 she gave her in February she (the lawyer) kept for her fee. She gave her a receipt when she accepted the $1050 that she signed & wrote "Leawood Court Cost" on it. Can she tell my daughter not to show up to court, except her $ & say she will take card of it then keep it as her fee. My daughter is hysterical & I'm very angry!!! What can I do?
What did your daughter pay the attorney? What was their fee/payment arrangement?

Banned_Princess

you can pay the court fees for her.

otherwise she is presumably an adult, and as such she no longer can have her mommy / daddy come in and save the day. (unless you just give her money) she has to save her own day.

She could probably take her receipt down to the courthouse, who will probably tell her its not their problem, and get a billing statement from them showing the court fees have not been paid, and sue the lawyer civilly. in the meantime, she has to pay the court, or suffer their consequences -whatever they may be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">