• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extortion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

micp1480

I had taken my ex-wife back to court in May of 2011 in Ocean County New Jersey to lower my child support payments due to a reduction in my salary, and the fact she make over $100,000.00, and I $48,000.00, which the letter I had from my employer was not accepted by this judge. Furthermore, the judge stated the house on the water, boat, SUV, and camper, that she purchased all in a year time, except for the house, were possibly all gifts. Her husband doesn't even work, but goes to college full time. Well, Not able to afford an attorney, and my ex-wife with financial backing was able to retain counsel. I lost, and the judge refused to ask her for a Case Information Sheet from her, which I had supplied. I was basically told to get out of his court room and to pay her legal fees. Next month, June 2011, I was contacted by my ex-wife who wants to take my kid's on vacation for two weeks in July of 2011. Our legal papers stated that neither of us are allowed to take the children for two consecutive weeks. I had a change of heart, for my issue is with her and not our children,and so I told her to take the kid's, because I love my children. After I had said she can take the kid's, I then receive a letter from her attorney, and it states that if I allow her to take the children on vacation he will allow me to make monthly payments toward his legal fees , and that no order will be issued to force the motion. This vacation issue was after our case, and was never brought up in the courtroom in May. This attorney has threaten me, and my friends are calling it extortion, and I am asking for advise? Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I had taken my ex-wife back to court in May of 2011 in Ocean County New Jersey to lower my child support payments due to a reduction in my salary, and the fact she make over $100,000.00, and I $48,000.00, which the letter I had from my employer was not accepted by this judge. Furthermore, the judge stated the house on the water, boat, SUV, and camper, that she purchased all in a year time, except for the house, were possibly all gifts. Her husband doesn't even work, but goes to college full time. Well, Not able to afford an attorney, and my ex-wife with financial backing was able to retain counsel. I lost, and the judge refused to ask her for a Case Information Sheet from her, which I had supplied. I was basically told to get out of his court room and to pay her legal fees. Next month, June 2011, I was contacted by my ex-wife who wants to take my kid's on vacation for two weeks in July of 2011. Our legal papers stated that neither of us are allowed to take the children for two consecutive weeks. I had a change of heart, for my issue is with her and not our children,and so I told her to take the kid's, because I love my children. After I had said she can take the kid's, I then receive a letter from her attorney, and it states that if I allow her to take the children on vacation he will allow me to make monthly payments toward his legal fees , and that no order will be issued to force the motion. This vacation issue was after our case, and was never brought up in the courtroom in May. This attorney has threaten me, and my friends are calling it extortion, and I am asking for advise? Thank you.
So, the attorney told you that if you would allow the mom to take the kids for two weeks on vacation, he'd let you make payments, right?

You already agreed to the vacation, so now make payment arrangements.

Not extortion by a LONG shot.

cyjeff

So... if you let your ex take the kids on vacation you are being offered a BENEFIT you didn't have before?

How is that extortion? Fine. Don't take the lawyer's offer. That'll show em.... but send a check for the full amount owed with your rejection letter.

micp1480

Ok, I see where we are going with this, which is I have choices, or do I ? When one doesn't have the funds or financial backing to pay for an outstanding balance, such as in this case, and so you are forced to take the offer proposed by this Attorney. What scares me is that the issue of vacation time was a new issue that came up after the May court appearance, and as long as there is a balance owed, then I can be forced to clean her toilets, cars, walking her dogs, doing her laundry etc****************************....All she would have to do is to call her Attorney friend, and I am off to her house with bucket and sponge. I strongly believe that the law is a selective process by which those who are in it stand above the law.

MICP1480

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, I see where we are going with this. I have choices is what I am getting out of this, but what happens when you have no choices, and what I am ei a penny to my name. I am forced to take the offer from this Attorney to allow my ex-wife to have it her way. I am concerned that as long as there is an outstanding balance, I can be cleaning her toilets, cars, walking her dogs, and doing everything she demands from me, or this Attorney will be back doing it again. I am amazed that no one sees what this Attorney is doing is wrong. He is forcing me to take an offer, and the issue was never written on a legal paper. Are we saying that the law is a selective process by those who are involved stand above the law?

MICP1480
You make no sense. Out of the goodness of your heart, you agreed to let the kids go on vacation.

How is the attorney forcing you to take him up on his offer? :confused:

micp1480

Let me try to simplify this. Because you are an Attorney you have the right to stick your nose into something that was between my ex-wife and myself. I let the children go on vacation because I love them, but then I received a letter saying if I didn't, then there was going to be consequences, and this is acceptable? I don't understand why this is ok.

MICP1480

Proserpina

Let me try to simplify this. Because you are an Attorney you have the right to stick your nose into something that was between my ex-wife and myself. I let the children go on vacation because I love them, but then I received a letter saying if I didn't, then there was going to be consequences, and this is acceptable? I don't understand why this is ok.

MICP1480

Mom wants a guarantee that she can go on vacation.

The attorney wants the fee.

This is one way that both can be accomplished at once, AND you get a break....

I'm not seeing the problem.

Hot Topic

Try to overcome your jealousy and resentment of your wife's financial standing. It could have a negative impact on the children someday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">