• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wind turbine in my backyard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suehobart

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts.

A year ago a private company was given permitting and installed a HUGE 1.65 megawatt wind turbine 1600 feet from the back of my home. There was no abutter notification( although technnically we are not direct abutters, as town owned land is between the properties. )

The turbine is causing me all sorts of physical problems including dizziness tinnitis, inability to sleep and concentrate and on and on. I know it is from the turbine because I can directly relate the symptoms to the wind and they go away when I leave the area for a few hours. This is a common set of symptoms being medically studied internationally and looks to be related to low frequency air pressure changes ... akin to inner ear issues and the vestibular system in certain sensitive persons ... there is even a named set of symptoms called wind turbine syndrome.

I have exhausted the political options to no avail, made complaints and basically his money talks wide and high. The green lobby is also all over helping the political machine and I am just getting sicker and sicker.

Anyway, we own 6 acres and built our beautiful little home 9 years ago but we have to try to move to save my health. I would take a trailer away from this beast anywhere at this point.

Now we find out we need full disclosure of the adverse health effects or we face liability to future buyers or tenants. That's gonna be a problem that devalues out property further.

The thing also towers over our house which will make it very hard to sell... and even if we can the value has probably plummeted by at least 25 to 30percent this year just because of the turbine.

So, our property would have sold last year at about $600,000 conseratively.

This guy that owns the turbine paid for it with government greenie stimulus grants ( not loans ) and makes $2000 to 3500 a DAY on the thing and it never stops... It pounds away at our home and heads 24/7.. some days are better than others but we are pretty much in living hell now.

So, we are hoping to somehow hold this jerk responsible for the loss of our personal assetts. Which by the way are about all we have... does this kind of case happen? He is definately profiting from our loss.

any opinions of our chances or advise would be appreciated...

CJane

I believe your chances are virtually nil.

And here's why.

Nina Pierpont, a New York pediatrician and wife of an anti-wind energy activist, claims that noise can be an important disadvantage of wind turbines, especially when building the wind turbines very close to urban environments. The controversy around Pierpont's work centers around her claims made in a self-published, non-peer-reviewed book that ultra-low frequency sounds affect human health, which are based on a very small sample of self-selected subjects with no control group for comparison. She asserts that wind turbines affect the mood of people and may cause physiological problems such as insomnia, headaches, tinnitus, vertigo and nausea.
No peer review.
Self-selected subjects.
Obvious bias.
No control group.

Her assertions are based on utterly non-scientific information.

You'll also note, that similar cases have been brought before courts recently. They were dismissed as the noise was no excessive.

In December 2006, a Texas jury denied a noise pollution suit against FPL Energy, after the company demonstrated that noise readings were not excessive. The highest reading was 44 decibels, which was characterized as about the same level as a 10 mile/hour (16 km/h) wind.

Sell the property & move. GE would never make any power generating devices that can cause harm.

You get free medical in Mass...what does your doctors say

Mass_Shyster

Now we find out we need full disclosure of the adverse health effects or we face liability to future buyers or tenants.
Who told you that?

Massachusetts doesn't require disclosure of termites. I doubt Massachusetts requires disclosure of suspected but unprovable health effects of nearby wind turbines.

Who told you that?

Massachusetts doesn't require disclosure of termites. I doubt Massachusetts requires disclosure of suspected but unprovable health effects of nearby wind turbines.
People in Mass. are funny ! They like high taxes & the goofy Kennedys.

LillianX

Sell the property & move. GE would never make any power generating devices that can cause harm.

You get free medical in Mass...what does your doctors say
Just as a note: we don't get free medical in Mass. Everyone in Mass is required to have health insurance, and we are able to purchase it from the state if our employers do not provide it. It is not free.

Just as a note: we don't get free medical in Mass. Everyone in Mass is required to have health insurance, and we are able to purchase it from the state if our employers do not provide it. It is not free.
what if you cannot afford it? then its free, right? Then you have free medical (just not free for everyone). And how is that program working out ?

The Occultist

what if you cannot afford it? then its free, right? Then you have free medical (just not free for everyone). And how is that program working out ?
Whether or not one can afford it is based on a table that goes off of the overall income of the household, so it is far too common for one to find that despite the fact that they cannot afford it, the state has decided that they can based on their income. Your post is not helpful or relevant to the OP (not that mine is either, mind you...).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">