• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help (Drug Conspiracy)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ceramirez

My uncle spent 8 months in jail & right now he is on house arrest. He is being charged with conspiracy for drugs (cocaine). He has no criminal record, no felonies or anything. He has been living in the USA for over 20 years without any legal problem until now. They are trying to give my uncle 5-10 years or even more for this. The public defender he has is being very rude and is not saying what my uncle wants him to say. The public defender is also making threats to him saying if he doesn't plea guilty they are going to be way more and serious charges if he doesn't do so. My uncle can't afford a real lawyer who will represent him professionally and in the right way. Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions about this case please contact me.

My uncle spent 8 months in jail & right now he is on house arrest. He is being charged with conspiracy for drugs (cocaine). He has no criminal record, no felonies or anything. He has been living in the USA for over 20 years without any legal problem until now. They are trying to give my uncle 5-10 years or even more for this. The public defender he has is being very rude and is not saying what my uncle wants him to say. The public defender is also making threats to him saying if he doesn't plea guilty they are going to be way more and serious charges if he doesn't do so. My uncle can't afford a real lawyer who will represent him professionally and in the right way. Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions about this case please contact me.
The PD may be blunt and it could come off as rude to you. Generally, the public defender's office has many fine attorneys who have more trial experience than the expensive attorneys you're thinking of.

If he's recommending a guilty plea than that is most likely his best chance for getting the least sentence. If you're uncle is truly innocent and wants to plead not guilty he can but his lawyer probably has a better tack on his chances than either of you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My uncle can't afford a real lawyer who will represent him professionally and in the right way.
Your uncle HAS a real lawyer who is representing him in a professional way. Since he can't afford it, it falls on the rest of US to pay for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">