• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This forum the closest match for this question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nystudent7

I was recently academically dismissed from law school with a GPA just below 2.0. I froze on one of my finals--literally froze staring into space and couldn't write or read-- I ended up completing only 1 of 3 essays and all of the multiple choice. I received a D (the essays were 60% ) and the curve was extremely harsh. I realize I need to work on my skills, but I don't want to wait two years to get into back a law school. To me the aba's standard 505 edict seems arbitrary and capricious, as an affirmative showing that I am capable of continuing my studies may be achieved prior the two year period. It's really a question of ability and determination, not time. My school has a re-admittance policy that allows me to re-apply after one year, but I don't believe the program was the right fit for me and want to attend a different school. I know it will be difficult to get back in with a previous dismissal, but I’d like to try. So, is the two year period in standard 505 mandatory for ABA-approved schools? Is it possible to get into a different law school after 1 year? Is it possible to go to a non-aba approved law school before one year? If anyone could provide me with answers to these questions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LillianX

If it's not an ABA approved law school, they aren't required to follow ABA rules. I caution you to think long and hard about whether you want to attend a school which is not ABA accredited. The vast majority of jurisdictions in the US require that you graduate from an ABA accredited school in order to practice law.

I'm not sure about the rest of your question. I'd suggest you ask the ABA directly, or ask the admissions departments of the specific schools you are interested in. It's possible that there's some wiggle room in the policy, but if that's the case, it will be on a school by school basis, and only they will be able to tell you their policies.

xylene

II froze on one of my finals--literally froze staring into space and couldn't write or read
You need at least 2 years to correct the underlying medical or psychological problem that caused this episode.

That excludes the time for your basic skills.

Law school is a graduate level program and if you can't make grad school grades, (3.0 average min) then I don't know why you want to rush into that fire...

Nystudent7

You need at least 2 years to correct the underlying medical or psychological problem that caused this episode.

That excludes the time for your basic skills.

Law school is a graduate level program and if you can't make grad school grades, (3.0 average min) then I don't know why you want to rush into that fire...
I agree I need time to correct the anxiety that caused me to freeze and to improve my skills. I am doing this now. I already have a M.A. and attended a rigorous undergrad, so I know about what it takes to be successful in grad school. I think this was a combination of fatigue, stress and test anxiety, currently I'm working in a law office and have no problems recalling the details I forgot on the test (figures, right).

Just some background, the prof. spent her time covering topics in the beginning of the semester and then covered the last 3 topics in one week. Some may say this is typical of law profs, but then she only tested on the topics that were hurriedly taught. No excuse for my performance, but it did factor in.

xylene

I have taken very hard exams at the graduate level and never experienced brain-lock.

There is something childish about your inability to take your clearly described 'lumps' over failing out of school and even more so in blaming one professor for what was a low average (2.0) only possible resulting from substandard grades in multiple subjects.

I have taken very hard exams at the graduate level and never experienced brain-lock.

There is something childish about your inability to take your clearly described 'lumps' over failing out of school and even more so in blaming one professor for what was a low average (2.0) only possible resulting from substandard grades in multiple subjects.
ALL the teachers were mean ! I got a 2.0 dad ! Glad you spent that 200K ?

Suggest he go to McDonalds and fill out an application (bring a friend in case he "freezes-up).

The Occultist

Suggest he go to McDonalds and fill out an application (bring a friend in case he "freezes-up).
Normally, I wouldn't pick on such a post, but since I did just respond to another post of yours that I felt was equally irrelevant, I shall: joining what you see as the status quo in order to insult the OP is not the same as taking part in a community board intended to help people in need of advice. Since you have offered quite a few posts that were indeed helpful, I certainly would prefer that you stick around, but not if you're going to keep offering posts just as this.

And before you accuse me of sitting on a high horse, I, too, have made posts in similar taste as this one, and I regret it and also thank the powers-that-be for forgiving me and allowing me to stick around. Please do the same. Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree I need time to correct the anxiety that caused me to freeze and to improve my skills. I am doing this now. I already have a M.A. and attended a rigorous undergrad, so I know about what it takes to be successful in grad school. I think this was a combination of fatigue, stress and test anxiety, currently I'm working in a law office and have no problems recalling the details I forgot on the test (figures, right).

Just some background, the prof. spent her time covering topics in the beginning of the semester and then covered the last 3 topics in one week. Some may say this is typical of law profs, but then she only tested on the topics that were hurriedly taught. No excuse for my performance, but it did factor in.
You did NOT get a 2.0 GPA by getting a D in one subject. Sorry but not happening. I know. I was in law school, graduated from law school, passed the bar and am practicing law. Do not blame the prof for your lack of ability to pass the test with greater than a D. What were your other grades? Why was your overall GPA that low?

Nystudent7

You did NOT get a 2.0 GPA by getting a D in one subject. Sorry but not happening. I know. I was in law school, graduated from law school, passed the bar and am practicing law. Do not blame the prof for your lack of ability to pass the test with greater than a D. What were your other grades? Why was your overall GPA that low?
If you read my posts carefully you see I do not blame the professor. I, however, do recognize that her teaching style was a factor. As for getting a 2.0 from one subject, it is possible depending upon your courseload and the credits per course.

It's great that you graduated from law school and are practicing law. Though you must realize, there are many paths to same goal (becoming an attorney). I may have to find a different one, but I will find one and will accomplish my goal :cool:

Nystudent7

Que?

Because I did have great undergrad and graduate grades I had an academic scholarship, so my time at law school cost me $ 0. How about you? :)

Nystudent7

great for you, but everyone is different. And law school is different than other types of graduate study, taking difficult exams on the grad level is NOT equivalent to taking a difficult law school exam.

Last edited:

cyjeff

You should also realize that the first year of law school is made intentionally hard... to try to increase the wash out rate.

That's right... they are TRYING to make you quit.

Nystudent7

You should also realize that the first year of law school is made intentionally hard... to try to increase the wash out rate.

That's right... they are TRYING to make you quit.
Yeah. Though I never quit anything, I just find another way to get there. Thanx though.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you read my posts carefully you see I do not blame the professor. I, however, do recognize that her teaching style was a factor. As for getting a 2.0 from one subject, it is possible depending upon your courseload and the credits per course.

It's great that you graduated from law school and are practicing law. Though you must realize, there are many paths to same goal (becoming an attorney). I may have to find a different one, but I will find one and will accomplish my goal :cool:
You are blaming her -- it was her teaching style that was a fault. And it is not possible that ONE D lowered your GPA until you had to drop out. It really isn't. Unless you have taken all of two classes. Actually becoming an attorney in this country requires PASSING LAW SCHOOL. And normally passing the bar. Unless you are in Wisconsin -- then if you graduate from a WI law school you don't have to sit for the bar. If you cannot pass law school, you will never keep up with the actual practice of law. There are daily tests when in practice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">