• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Possession/Consumption of a Controlled Substance Charge!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ben31295

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
Hello, Im a Minor (Under 18) and I had tooken expired narcotics from an old house, and It finally caught up with me, I did have these following charges; Theft->500$
Theft >500$
Possession/Consumption of Controlled Substance,
The person I stole the pills from decided to drop the charges...
Does this mean all of those charges are dropped?
Im supposed to have a probation meeting on tuesday, but im not sure if I still have to go because shes dropping the charges... Will I do time for this, oh, and Im also about to pass a Prime for Life class at a rehab center like a Probation Officer Suggested.. .Help, Im so scared and I dont know what their going to do to me.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
Hello, Im a Minor (Under 18) and I had tooken expired narcotics from an old house, and It finally caught up with me, I did have these following charges; Theft->500$
Theft >500$
Possession/Consumption of Controlled Substance,
LMAO "tooken" oh the youth of today. :rolleyes:

The person I stole the pills from decided to drop the charges...
Does this mean all of those charges are dropped?
No. they are the states charges now.

Im supposed to have a probation meeting on tuesday, but im not sure if I still have to go because shes dropping the charges...
You had better go, before you end up studying English from prison. or jail at least. Dont ever ignore court orders.

Will I do time for this, oh, and Im also about to pass a Prime for Life class at a rehab center like a Probation Officer Suggested.. .Help, Im so scared and I dont know what their going to do to me.
How are you on probation? is it from these charges, or another one?

CdwJava

Only the prosecutor can drop the charges if he or she wishes. The victim may indicate that they do not want to pursue the matter, but the discretion here is with the prosecutor. Even if the victim no longer wished to pursue it, the state has a vested interest in keeping drug abusers off the streets or getting them into a program.

Until you see something in writing that states you are free and clear, assume that you are still facing some charges. Consult legal counsel.

Ben31295

well, I'm great with Spelling and English, I was just trying to speed up my writing, basically be lazy lol, and these keys are sticky, But I'm not on Probation, but I'm supposed to meet with a Probation Officer to discuss my charges, do those charges look like they can get me put away in Juivenille? I've quite all drugs, and I should be passing this Prime For Life rehabilitation class on Tuesday, Which is what the Probation Officer suggested, I'm just scared of getting locked away.

Banned_Princess

well, I'm great with Spelling and English, I was just trying to speed up my writing, basically be lazy lol, and these keys are sticky, But I'm not on Probation, but I'm supposed to meet with a Probation Officer to discuss my charges, do those charges look like they can get me put away in Juivenille? I've quite all drugs, and I should be passing this Prime For Life rehabilitation class on Tuesday, Which is what the Probation Officer suggested, I'm just scared of getting locked away.

You need a lawyer, a lawyer now. Whatever you mean by "meeting with a probation officer to discuss this".. you should be " meeting with a Lawyer to discuss this".

If you cannot afford one, I suggest before you do any talking or explaining or pleading in court... you ASK FOR A LAWYER TO REPRESENT YOU. ask the judge. thats it. You are NOT GUILTY until you talk your way to guilty with people not on your side. WHICH IS EVERYONE WHO IS NOT YOUR LAWYER.

When are you actually due in court?

How does your family feel about this? I mean like, where are your parents?

CdwJava

BP,

In some states and jurisdictions it is common to have a meeting with the minor, the parents, and a Juvenile Probation Officer to decide if charges should be pursued or if the matter can be dealt with informally. It may well be in his interest to attend the hearing as if he refuses, it will virtually guarantee that the matter WILL go before a judge.

But, a consultation with an attorney is always a good idea, though if mom and dad do not want to fork for one, then our OP might be forced to either talk or clam up and risk certain court action.

Indiana Filer

BP,

In some states and jurisdictions it is common to have a meeting with the minor, the parents, and a Juvenile Probation Officer to decide if charges should be pursued or if the matter can be dealt with informally. It may well be in his interest to attend the hearing as if he refuses, it will virtually guarantee that the matter WILL go before a judge.
If he doesn't meet with the probation officer, it will 99.9% likely end up in Court with a delinquency petition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">