• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State LLC Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bdonovan2442

Hello,

I am an independent filmmaker preparing to launch 2 separate production companies. One of the companies focuses on a conventional approach to filmmaking and sales, while the other specializes in digital media production and distribution.

Neither company will have physical office and each will be filed as an LLC through a UPS Store mailbox address.

I split my time between a home in Massachusetts and an apartment in California, though I remain a Massachusetts resident. The rest of our production team is split between California and New York.

I am debating which state to form the LLC in for each company. Should I split it up and start one in California and one in Massachusetts? Or both in the same state? Since I am not doing business out of a physical location, would it be a worth it to file the LLC in Nevada or Delaware?

I am planning to consult an attorney on this matter, but for the time being, I'd like to hear some opinions. Thank you for your time and support.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

You *are* doing business from a physical location; that it is done electronically will not change that.

Intrastate taxation is hard and you really need to get down into the tall grass to make a decision like the one you ask. There are plusses and minuses to each course. Off the top of my head, my only advice would have been to have the LLCs in the same state. Then, I thought of a couple of potential facts which would change that.

See a CPA. Talk with him and tell him the plan. Ask for his advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">