• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 paraphanalia 1 marijuana charge, and one seatbelt ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

judicator5555

hey guys! alright so about a week ago me and a friend were driving in a city named north royalton OH, when we were stopped by a Hinckley OH officer. When he first came to my window he asked for my liscence registration i gave it to him. He proceeded to ask why i was nervous, i said i did not want to recieve a ticket, after he asked why i thought he pulled me over i answered wrong and he said my brake light and liscence plate were out (which they werent).I learned this after i recieved my car bak the next day. He ended up searching my car with my consent which i gave him foolishly waiving my rights.when it was apparent that he was not lying that he was going to conduct a search i then admitted to him that i had a bowl which i foolishly cart around and a container in which i held my marijuana. i was then arrested, my car impounded and carted off to the Hinckley jail. This is my first offence other than a few traffic tickets. The two major questions i have are: is it legal to pull a car over in another cities jurisdiction?, and If he pulled me over for a bogus reason in the first place could the charge be dissmised? (I ask this because i was extremely careful of the speed I was driving when I was pulled over, and he made a comment to his ride along saying "I told you I was Right" implying he was fishing for somthing bigger than a busted brake light). And if these charges do go through what are the outcomes for best to worst...the other peices of paraphanalia were papers and a pill bottle with resin in it, and like i mentioned in the title i recieved a seatbelt cite and possession under 100gs (1/100 of an ounce)a.k.a not that much at all.

Last edited:

BOR

The two major questions i have are: is it legal to pull a car over in another cities jurisdiction?,
I live in Ohio also, although statutory law says no on this, a few years ago the Ohio Supreme Court ruled it does not violate the Ohio Constitution if an officer pulls over a motorist outside his original jurisdiction. I can't remember the case name in my head, but can find it.

and If he pulled me over for a bogus reason in the first place could the charge be dissmised
IF the initial seizure/stop of your car was indeed a lie, yes, you can plead not guilty and move the Court (Motion) to suppress the evidence found.

If you were arrested, that means at least one of the charges had to be a Misdemeanor of the 4th degree or higher. Any such charge, if you plead not guilty and can not afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you, and any charge M-4 and above is triable by a Jury.

Oh I might add concerning the OSC decision, it was not about an officer witnessing a traffic offense in his area and following you to another to pull you over, that was always legal. The OSC case though permits it anytime, whether the offense was witnessed in his area or not.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">