• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this harrassment by the lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bestcee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA (Lawyer UT)

We hired a lawyer to help with an adoption case. The fee was to be flat. The lawyer refused to send a contract, and refused to accept the fee (or a retainer) upfront. He then would not talk to us, but instead through another relative. After the finalization, the lawyer would not give us an itemized bill. The piece of paper he sent with an amount was, of course, 3 times as much as originally agreed upon. We were willing to pay him if there was indeed extra work, but based on the only itemized bill we received (about 1/2 through), it was shady. The lawyer messed up paperwork with the court, which had to be refiled, and he charged us for it. (In fact, we had to pay twice for the court papers because of it). He also overbilled us in our opinion (ex. 10 hours of one day spent on the phone trying to call a specific person that only has 8 office hours. Then an additional 6 hours the next day for the same person. He claimed to the relative that he was on the phone all day trying to call this person, just kept hitting redial.)

Fast forward, and unfortunately we ended up declaring bankruptcy. His bill was added as it was an outstanding debt. He then sent an email to said relative calling us names, and stating how he is unable to pay his own bills because of us. We also found out that he has complained to our ecclesiastical leader, and emailed his version to the other adoption agency involved. That agency called us to ask our side. (Keep in mind, we have never heard from him directly.) I also have been told about 2 other court cases that said attorney has told my relative about my relative's neighbors/friends.

While I understand his anger, is this something that should be reported to the bar? And is there a way to make him stop contacting everyone we know and "telling" on us?

P.S. I have learned a great many things (such as no contract = no work; if the lawyer won't call you, only relatives walk away; and how to better handle our money), so please don't lecture me on that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">