• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questionable arrest on a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shadowfall4995

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Last month me and a friend went to a concert at a local venue. We are both 17. While in the parking lot we went to a secluded spot in the parking lot. I was urinating in a hidden spot because there is no bathroom in the venue. When i turned around my friend was on the ground in handcuffs. He had a bottle of beer next to him. I was thrown against the wall and put in handcuffs. The officer searched me and found a rolled joint and a half gram bag of marijuana in my pocket. I politely asked the officer to loosen the cuffs and he came and tightened them to an extremely painful point. The officer then threatened us by saying he would beat the **** out of us because we were in a hidden place out of public view. We were put in the police car and brought to the station. At that point my hands were bleeding from the cuffs. The officers were rough with us at the station and were threatening us and attempting to intimidate us. They refused to tell me my charges until several hours after i was arrested. My friend and I are both being charged with Minor in Possesion of alcohol and possession of marijuana. I am also being charged with disorderly conduct for urinating. Is there anything I can do about any of this or is this just my word against the cops. The only proof i have is the cuts on my wrist from the handcuffs.

CdwJava

Yes, your parents can hire an attorney for you. The attorney can review the state's case, see if there is an opening for a defense, and make the case for you.

If you feel the officers were out of line you can make a complaint to the agency. If you received an injury as a result of what you believe is excessive force, your parents can hire an attorney to consult about that as well.

But, they apparently found alcohol on your friend, likely determined that you were in possession as well, and will likely argue that the search of your person was incident to arrest for the MIP.

Consult that attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And thank your lucky stars you weren't charged with a more serious crime that would require you to register as a sex offender.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">