• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$ lost in relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CarrieAnn

over the course of 2 1/2 years i gave my now exboyfriend over $3,000. i considered this a loan, because i thought he'd repay me. he used to money to help pay for a new car, and probably to buy other things. when we brokeup i thought he'd agree to pay me back. he has not and said that because there was no written agreement and becuase he never "asked" for the money that i had no legal claim. is he right or can i sue him for the money i loaned him. this all ended over a year ago if that makes a difference.

milwaukee, wi.

JETX

Certainly you can sue him. However, the real question will be will you win. Based on your post, that seems unlikely, since there does not appear to have ever been a real conversation that these funds were loans, or that he was obligated (or promised) to repay you. This will simply become a matter of your word against his.

You say that you "considered this a loan", but that is not the same as actually being a loan. If you didn't CLEARLY say that it was a loan, and/or him agreeing to repay it, then it wasn't a loan, it was a gift.

Further, you said, "when we brokeup i thought he'd agree to pay me back", but did he actually say that he would??

A contract, either verbal or written, can't be entered based on these ambiguities, it requires a clear understanding of what each party will do, not just 'I thought' or 'I considered'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">