• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Information on Sole Prpritorships

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kilika

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
We are in Hawaii, where my husband has a sole proprietorship small business. There are no employees.
My question is: If he should become disabled and/or unable to participate in his business, could I, as his wife, operate the business in his stead? Or, if he died, what would happen to his business if he leaves all assets to me? Would we need to form some sort of 'partnership' for me to take over the business?

Your advice is welcome.
Thanks!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
We are in Hawaii, where my husband has a sole proprietorship small business. There are no employees.
My question is: If he should become disabled and/or unable to participate in his business, could I, as his wife, operate the business in his stead? Or, if he died, what would happen to his business if he leaves all assets to me? Would we need to form some sort of 'partnership' for me to take over the business?

Your advice is welcome.
Thanks!
Yes, you can operate his business for him. Yes, you can inherit his business and continue to run it as your own. Of course, that is assuming that you have the proper skills, licenses necessary to operate that kind of business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">