• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Lawyer Billing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Peter Farel

California

I hired an attorney in 2010, and terminated her in April 2010, at which point I had a zero balance with nothing due. I filed a bar complaint against her for a number of reasons. She is now billing me for the hours she spent defending the bar complaint which was ruled inconclusive, and also letters she wrote to me about the bar complaint.

It’s obvious she has no ability to charge me for anything since she was terminated and it was for defending a bar complaint. She just added another $200 for reviewing a letter which was sent to her over a year ago when she was my attorney. She is now threatening to send me to collections. Here are my questions:

1. Should I send a letter? If so, what should I include in my letter to request she stop billing me?
2. Are there specific codes I can present in my letter?
3. Should I file another bar complaint to make her stop?

Any other ideas would be very helpful. Thank you.

LdiJ

California

I hired an attorney in 2010, and terminated her in April 2010, at which point I had a zero balance with nothing due. I filed a bar complaint against her for a number of reasons. She is now billing me for the hours she spent defending the bar complaint which was ruled inconclusive, and also letters she wrote to me about the bar complaint.

It’s obvious she has no ability to charge me for anything since she was terminated and it was for defending a bar complaint. She just added another $200 for reviewing a letter which was sent to her over a year ago when she was my attorney. She is now threatening to send me to collections. Here are my questions:

1. Should I send a letter? If so, what should I include in my letter to request she stop billing me?
2. Are there specific codes I can present in my letter?
3. Should I file another bar complaint to make her stop?

Any other ideas would be very helpful. Thank you.
I would be very tempted to file another bar complaint. She has no right to bill you for the time it cost her to defend herself to the bar.

I would be very tempted to file another bar complaint. She has no right to bill you for the time it cost her to defend herself to the bar.
Then she'll get another bill lol

.... pesky lawyers ... file another complaint withe the bar .
The bar assoc is rather useless ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">