• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UPM impact on job application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Son_of_Entropy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
A few years ago, I was convicted of 2 Unlawful Possession of Marijuana charges(stupid, I know). In NY, they are not considered crimes, but violations, legally equivalent to traffic tickets. My question is, if they are not criminal charges, am I legally obligated to list them on applications to future employers. I am currently trying to get a job with a shipping company as a driver, and they only accept applicants who have not received a drug charge in the last seven years. Is a UPM considered a criminal charge, even though it is technically a violation in NY? Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Unlawful Possession of Marijuana is an offense in the New York State Penal Law.

It is not a crime (felony or misdemeanor), it is a "petty offense" (which consists of traffic infractions and violations).

The possible penalties are similar to traffic tickets (i.e. a maximum of 15 days in jail) but the similarity ends there. These convictions WILL show up on a criminal history or background check, traffic infractions do not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">