• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sewer Back Up Cleaning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

healthconcerns

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI
I have a question about what an employer can make you do - my husband's work has had a sewer back up problem for years, and they use a pump to keep the sewer from backing up in one area, but the pump breaks often and they make the workers there (its a hall of sorts, like a country club) - whoever happens to be on staff, mop and clean up the backed up sewage - 10 times in the past few weeks. I told my husband i think this is a major health concern and he should not be cleaning this up - is this legal for the place to make them clean it? they are also acting like its the workers' fault for not keeping an eye on teh pumps better because they break often.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

healthconcerns

ok, thx. I was just concerned after reading on the internet all the diseases/toxins, etc.. in the sewer water. I thought maybe it would fall under a catagory of not exposing workers to health threats, etc...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
ok, thx. I was just concerned after reading on the internet all the diseases/toxins, etc.. in the sewer water. I thought maybe it would fall under a catagory of not exposing workers to health threats, etc...
The workers should be provided with proper safety equipment, etc.

healthconcerns

I see, that is where my concern is, they are just mopping it up in their regular clothes/shoes/no different clothing or equipment. not even gloves. I told my husband not to bring his shoes home and to wash his hands like crazy. The part that is flooding is the orchestra pit of their auditorium. I thought it was strange there was no protocol being followed. I didnt want him to wait until someone gets sick before he says something about safety concerns. thx for the replys :)

justalayman

Plumbers deal with things like this on a daily basis as well as the guys that work in the sewage treatment plants. Some common sense and caution comes into play when performing the work.

He might consider getting a hep B (I think it;s B anyway) vaccination.

I would have no hesitation in asking the boss for some mud boots and gloves.

Bluesman

Personal Protective Gear

I'm not an attorney, but I was a safety compliance guy, for a number of years. Just to expand on what the other folks have offered here... There are any number of bacterial and viral nasties that one could be exposed to when you're talking about raw sewage. While an employer is within their rights to request their employees clean up messes such as this, it is the employer's responsibility to provide (at their cost - not the employee's) personal protective equipment for the purpose. This would include, at the very least, vinyl gloves, but could include rubber boots, protective suits, and goggles or face shields, too. In regards to the shoes, these can generally be cleaned with a 10% bleach solution (1 part bleach/9 parts water). Unless you're talking about expensive work boots, I'd request some rubber boots, and throw the shoes away. I'd ask for replacement cost on the shoes, as well.

Hope this helps. The Bluesman

FarmerJ

Another approach , especially if this place is on private septic system is to simply report the back ups to the county , if the system is in some stage of failure they will order it to be repaired / replaced so it does meet current code.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">