• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen prescription

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

puellapea

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I am a recovering opiate addict, 15 months clean. I am randomly drug tested by my doctor, fyi.
About a week ago I did something stupid, not considering the consequences. I was at my parents house, and saw a bottle of hydrocodone that was waiting to be refilled. I was angry at my parents for leaving the bottle around. I felt disrespected because (although it shouldnt have to be this way) the amount of time i spend at their home, I felt they should keep their meds locked up. I knew they would get the medication refilled and hold on to it for ''emergencies'' and most likely never use it.
To avoid future temptation of stealing their meds, i refilled the meds and flushed them. My parents called in the refill and the Pharmacist asked if they knew it had been refilled. They said ''no'' but Walmart is badgering them for info, and of course I was video taped. Ive read that even if my parents dont press charges, the Pharmacist or state still may. Ive never been arrested.
Obviously I dont expect anyone to believe me (my family actually does though) but regardles, here are my Q's:
1. what should i do
2. what should my parents do. I dont expect them to lie but they dont want to incriminate me?
3. Can my past addiction medical records be used against me?
4. What is a likely punishment

Thanks in advance

OHRoadwarrior

Yeah, all addicts see an empty script bottle, run down for a refill, then flush them. I would go find a lawyer that doesn't care if his client is guilty or not if you are contacted by the police. Until that point, it is in your best interest too NOT make any statements on the issue.

CdwJava

Obviously I dont expect anyone to believe me (my family actually does though)
Ya gotta admit, it strains credulity.

1. what should i do
Remain silent. If contacted by the police or arrested, do not make a statement unless you have consulted with legal counsel.

2. what should my parents do. I dont expect them to lie but they dont want to incriminate me?
If your parents lie for you, then they are enabling your addiction. If they do not cooperate, they are enabling your addiction. If they do not follow through with the police report and investigation, they run the risk of losing the prescription that apparently one of them needs. Your parents may well suffer for your actions. Sadly, this is not an uncommon occurrence in such family situations.

3. Can my past addiction medical records be used against me?
Maybe. Since they are not criminal convictions, it is unlikely that the state is going to subpoena past medical records for any reason related to a current theft and fraudulent prescription case.

4. What is a likely punishment
That would depend entirely on the charges pursued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">