• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

impersonating an attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbowman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Can someone tell me how legally someone can have charges filed against them for impersonating an attorney? Must the person actually say "I am an attorney representing XYZ" or is just giving the impression you are an attorney enough?

The wife of my ex contacted my payroll department requesting information about me. She did not explain who she was, she used her MAIDEN name, she used her company email and used her company signature line. My payroll department was under the impression she was an attorney. While no personal info was given to this women, she still sent multiple emails requesting my information.

Ive filed a formal complaint with her employer but I would really like to know if impersonating an attorney in this way is a crime?

LillianX

In the future, you should keep all of your related questions in the same thread.

That said, there's no such crime as "impersonating an attorney". There are laws against practicing law without a license and whatnot, but she did not break a law by allowing people to think she was an attorney.

In the future, you should keep all of your related questions in the same thread.

That said, there's no such crime as "impersonating an attorney". There are laws against practicing law without a license and whatnot, but she did not break a law by allowing people to think she was an attorney.
If there were such a crime then half the people on here would be in trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">