• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Visual

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Recently, I was arrested for marijuana possession as well as given a citation for drug paraphernalia. I don't deny the citation as I did have a pipe and grinder on me. What was really stupid of me is I took the blame for my friend's pipe and marijuana. The marijuana was NOT even mine but I didn't want to see my friend go to jail. (I know; dumb decision.) It was counted as a Class B misdemeanor. The thing is that I was arrested by a rookie, and I know for a fact that the guy was new to police work. He (the rookie) and the cop that he was accompanied by told us that they smelt marijuana AFTER they had searched the car. The cops didn't even ask to search the car. Am I able to hold that against the cops? Also, what are usual consequences for being found guilty? Again, it wasn't my weed and my father paid an extra $20 for my PR bond bail to avoid myself from having to have a parole officer immediately after release.

ERAUPIKE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Recently, I was arrested for marijuana possession as well as given a citation for drug paraphernalia. I don't deny the citation as I did have a pipe and grinder on me. What was really stupid of me is I took the blame for my friend's pipe and marijuana. The marijuana was NOT even mine but I didn't want to see my friend go to jail. (I know; dumb decision.) It was counted as a Class B misdemeanor. The thing is that I was arrested by a rookie, and I know for a fact that the guy was new to police work. He (the rookie) and the cop that he was accompanied by told us that they smelt marijuana AFTER they had searched the car. The cops didn't even ask to search the car. Am I able to hold that against the cops? Also, what are usual consequences for being found guilty? Again, it wasn't my weed and my father paid an extra $20 for my PR bond bail to avoid myself from having to have a parole officer immediately after release.
Get an attorney. It appears you will have trouble articulating any details of your case effectively in this forum.

asiny

Also, what are usual consequences for being found guilty?
...the maximum punishment for a Class B misdemeanor is a maximum of 180 days in the county jail facility and a fine not to exceed $2,000 or both.
The way your story reads is that you had a pipe and grinder on you.. and your friend had a pipe and marijuana on them. You told the officer both pipes, the grinder and marijuana were yours.

Either way, you admitted to the police all of the above was yours.

How much marijuana are we talking about (weight)?

He (the rookie) and the cop that he was accompanied by told us that they smelt marijuana AFTER they had searched the car. The cops didn't even ask to search the car. Am I able to hold that against the cops?
If the police have probable cause that the car contains something illegal like a prohibited weapon or drugs, then they may search the car.
You are positive they searched the car BEFORE they told you cause? What were you stopped for?

Visual

The way your story reads is that you had a pipe and grinder on you.. and your friend had a pipe and marijuana on them. You told the officer both pipes, the grinder and marijuana were yours.

Either way, you admitted to the police all of the above was yours.

How much marijuana are we talking about (weight)?

You are positive they searched the car BEFORE they told you cause? What were you stopped for?
The ACTUAL weight of the marijuana was less than a gram but the report says it was 2.4 grams considering that they can't take the marijuana out of the pill bottle it was concealed within. I'm also POSITIVE that they searched the car BEFORE they told my friend and I the cause.

Do you mean what was I stopped by the cops for?

asiny

The ACTUAL weight of the marijuana was less than a gram but the report says it was 2.4 grams considering that they can't take the marijuana out of the pill bottle it was concealed within. I'm also POSITIVE that they searched the car BEFORE they told my friend and I the cause.

Do you mean what was I stopped by the cops for?
Who weighed it and when/where? It makes no sense that they charged the weight INCLUDING the container.

Yes, what did the police stop your vehicle for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">