• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hypothetical: drug use on your property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texmad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I own a business (a farm) where people live and work. We recently discovered that one of the workers is smoking pot. We have a no drug policy and the worker is being asked to leave. I may have tried to work through this with her if she wasn't already on thin ice for other reasons. However, most likely in retaliation, this worker is claiming that everyone else is also smoking pot. I have no problems with anyone else's work performance and honestly don't really feel like "stirring the pot" if this is a wild goose chase.

So, my question is, as a property owner and as the owner of a business that operates on that property, could I be held liable if the police found drugs in one of the worker houses (we have separate living quarters)? Would it make a difference if I had an inkling there could be drug use compared to if I had absolutely no clue?

I'm sure we are talking about small personal use quantities of marijuana. I have reiterated to everyone that they cannot do drugs or be at work/on the property under the influence of drugs. But I haven't interrogated anyone or asked to look in people's rooms or anything.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">