• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shallotte99

A process server was unable to serve me with a summons to appear in court. He went back to the court and said there was no such address. A warrant was then issued for my arrest for failure to appear. My address is legal and have resided there for 20 years.

How could I appear if I didn't know there was a court date. I was subsequently arrested and notified the state atty had refiled a charge that he previously had filed a "nole prosequi" on. This is dirty pool, do I have any recourse for damages against the state. Were my rights violiated? This is in the state of Florida.

W

winterradio

I recently have gone through a similar display of state incompetency. I was arrested last week on a warrant issued for a noise violation in 1999 that was paid 2 days afterward but never properly filed. I have access to advice from many lawyers as a law student and wondered just the same thing. Unfortunately, incompetancy precludes the court system itself and the only "damages" you might be awarded would be that of a simple apology.

non omnia possumus omnes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">